Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Did Spybot clean-up, shut down and now can't boot up

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recetnly got a virus, winspywareprotect or what have you... at any rate, I downloaded spybot and ran a search and destroy analysis. Spybot, at the end of the analysis, said there was 1 thing it could not get rid of, and recommended I reboot and the program would run automatically upon the restart. Unfortunately, when I re-started, the computer stopped the reboot at the point where there is a blank screen with an arrow in the middle. I tried starting in safe mode, with the same result. is there any recourse? Spybot seemed very optimistic, said I had only 1 thing left to get rid of.

All I want is to turn my computer on :)

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing you can try.

Restart the computer. When you hear the single beep or see the Bios screen, press [F8] multiple times until you see a display with the Windows Advanced Options menu. Select the Last Known Good Configuration item from the menu and press [Enter].

Keep in mind that you get only one shot with the Last Known Good Configuration feature. In other words, if it fails to revive your Windows XP on the first attempt, the backup copy is also corrupt.

If you cannot even get to where you can use the F* key, you may have to try doing a repair install with a XP CD.

If that does not work you will need to install the recovery console from a XP cd. The Windows XP CD is bootable and will provide you with access to a tool called Recovery Console.

To boot from the Windows XP CD, insert it into the CD-ROM drive on the problem system and press [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] to reboot the computer. Once the system begins booting from the CD, simply follow the prompts that will allow the loading of the basic files needed to run Setup. When you see the Welcome To Setup screen press R to start the Recovery Console. You'll then see a Recovery Console menu. It displays the folder containing the operating system's files and prompts you to choose the operating system you want to log on to. Just press the menu number on the keyboard, and you'll be prompted to enter the Administrator's password. If you never set a admin password just click OK. You'll then find yourself at the main Recovery Console prompt.

Heres a article on using the recovery console.