Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformat problem.

• Please log in to reply

bugs

bugs

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello guys. Here's the run-down:

I am using a very old Dell Inspiron laptop. I was using Windows XP Service Pack 1a when one day there was this virus that probably came from a pop-up of a dodgy site, so being me, I decided to reformat because I did not want to deal with it. I came across my Service Pack 2 reinstallation disk and thought to myself, "Why not?" Well this proved to be a horrible decision. The main use for this computer is this game that I play. After I upgraded to SP2, the game got really freaky and it was not working to the ability I felt was good enough. I wished I could go back to SP1a the way things used to be, so I popped in that disc. One problem: after I "Pressed any key to boot from disk," an error popped up and said:

File i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.  Error code 1024

I have tried this several times and I always get the same message. My game does not run sufficiently with SP2. I really want to revert back to SP1, but it appears I can't do so without some extra help. This is what I have already tried:

1. Opened My Computer and searched the SP1 disc. Opened i386 and tried to copy BIOSINFO to My Documents.

The problem with that is when I tried opening i386 it froze. Another time, it said BIOSINFO would not copy.

Anyway, thanks to you all in advance. I really hope we can resolve this problem together.

Quick Edit: I noticed a lot of people have this problem; I see it a lot on other forums, but they dont seem to have the exact same problem as I do. And there has not been many good solutions to this issue.

Edited by bugs, 05 June 2008 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Go to the Dell website for Downloads and Drivers and put the service tag # in and check for any drivers that you might need. Particularly the chipset drivers and any special drivers related to BIOS. You might also want to check your BIOS against the latest one available to see if it needs to be updated. Updates are pretty simple with Dells.

bugs

bugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Is it alright if i did it by Model? The only BIOS-related results required me to insert an empty floppy...