Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Leif Needs help with Reboot!

• Please log in to reply

Leifgreen

Leifgreen

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi everyone! ^_^ I'm really worried this may not be posted in the correct place. If so, I apologize! ^_^

My computer was loading, and the orange light that flickers below the power button wouldn't shut off, and so the computer was shut down through the start menu.

And then, when we tried to turn it back on, a black error screen is displayed, apologizing for any inconvenience, and asks me if I want to Start Windows normally, Start Windows at last good configuration, or in Safe Mode with Networking or Command Prompt. Once any are chosen, the Windows XP Operation System start up screen is displayed, and seconds after, an instant flash of a Blue Screen of Death, and then it repeats the rebooting process.

If you don't mind, Geeks on the Go, I'm requesting your unforgettable help! ^_^

Do you know the cause of this? Is this common? Thank you all for your help, and if no one is able to respond, I understand! ^_^

Thank You! ^_^

(My second time here, eh? ^_^ )

- Little preacher man.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r (please note the space in the command) and press Enter. Let the process run to the end.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To answer your question...

This is a normal response that Windows gives when the machine fails to load Windows completely or is shut down unexpectedly. If it booted normally after the abnormal shutdown, you should be good to go. If not, running the disk check as The Skeptic suggested should straighten things out.

Leifgreen

Leifgreen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I did all that y'all have said, but I'm not quite sure if the CD I placed in the CD-Drive is the XP Installation CD. It says "Emachins Recovery CD," but the text written below saying: "This CD will re-install you Operation System." I'm confused, not knowing if it's a Recovery Disc, or an OS Repair disc.

In follow the instructions, and inserting the CD and rebooting the computer, it freezes as soon as the "Please Wait," message is displayed. It will also do this without the CD in choosing the built in recovery drive.

Anything else I could do? And, thanks for your help and Awesome replies! ^_^

Be Blessed! ^_^

- Little preacher man.

Edited by Leifgreen, 08 June 2008 - 01:47 PM.