Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't log in to Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

The Red Prince

The Red Prince

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, so After doing some extensive spyware/adware/trojans/virus removal, everything seemed to be working fine, except my headphones, which the system wasn't recognizing. So I tried restarting my computer. I was glad to notice that I could hear the log on sound, but exceptionally unhappy to find out that no matter what account, nor what mode (safe mode, Last known good config, etc.) I still could not log on.

I googled my problem and came eventually to this website, among other tech help websites.

I have already tried recovering the userinit.exe and wsaupdater.exe thingy from the repair console whilst using my win.xp disc, but to no avail. I've noticed that this Bart PE thing is mentioned several times across the web for trying to fix this problem, but I thought I would inquire about other possible fixes first.

Ummm, Can you help me plz?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
At what stage does the computer fail and what form it takes (freeze, shutoff, reboot, error). We need more detailed information, including about your operating system, hardware, and the malware removal tools that you used.

The Red Prince

The Red Prince

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Umm, I suppose I would say it "fails" when I hit my username and its picture to log in, as afterward it merely displays the desktop background briefly before logging me back out. I think its Windows XP Service pack 1, ... what particular hardware info do you need to know?

And, since before hand I had noticed that Spyware Doctor, was able to locate more of the problems than Superantispyware, I was using the free edition of that, and following all its notes of where files and various Registry files where and taking care of them all by hand, & yes, I took care with the Regedit, as I know that I can messup my pc seriously with some bad mistakes. Previously to this, about a month or two ago, I had a whole hardrive crash, after trying to remove spyware and whatnots, then, much to our surprise, it wouldn't even format the drive.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have XP installation CD run XP repair. Down below is a link to G2G's guide that will tell you how to do that. As soon as you manage to boot the computer go to the malware forum (a link below), take the preliminary steps and post a HJT log.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

and taking care of them all by hand, & yes, I took care with the Regedit, as I know that I can messup my pc seriously with some bad mistakes.

this is the source of your problem

did you backup the registry first like your supposed to do before changing things..any instructions on editing the registry tells you to do this...if so restore the registry and run thru the malware forum
no backup...a repair of windows should take care of your problem...that and a romp thru the malware forum

Edited by happyrck, 06 June 2008 - 04:41 PM.