Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Plug N Play Devce Trying To Reinstall Itself After Every Boot!

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Hi I have a microsoft life came vx1000 usb web cam. It's a plug and play camera I have had connected to my pcs rear usb pci card port for a year. I have never had a problem with the usb card nor have I ever had a problem with the camera.

Well I just recently took out the old generic psu I used to use and swapped it for a new antec earthwatts psu. As soon as I did that and booted up for the first time, I noticed that my webcam tried to actually install itself because a windows xp new hardware wizard came up on screen which I canceled. Once canceled I saw a icon on my systray say new usb camera found. Windows never used to do this... It never used to try to install the camera since it's a plug and play device which requires no setup. So I went in my device manager and sure enough seen a question mark next to a device simply labeled usb camera. When I right clicked to view it's properties it said this device is not configured properly. So I decided to physically unplug the usb cord from my rear usb port and plug it back in. When I did this all was back to normal and no windows xp prompt showed up trying to install the camera. The device was shown in the device manager as microsoft vx1000 web cam and everything was just like it always was before. I turned the pc on and off and it never tried to reinstall the cam with windows new hardware prompt ever again.

But the thing that's driving me crazy [and is weird as heck] is that every time I unplug my pc from the wall outlet to open the case up/clean dust out or whatever and than plug the pc back into the wall and boot up, I get the same darn windows new hardware wizard prompt about the webcam and have to cancel it. Than I have to unplug the usb camera cord and plug it back in to correct the issue. Than it never does this weird problem again forever until I physically unplug the pc power cord from the wall outlet and plug it back in afterwards.

Why s this happening and how can I fix it so it stops?

This all started happening after I installed my new power supply unit...

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 05 June 2008 - 11:40 PM.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Wow still no replies...