Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

can't install os

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I am having trouble installing vista or xp on one of my computers.

A few months ago, a file went corrupt on one of our comptuers and I tried to reinstall xp but it wouldn't work. Just recently, I have been trying again.

I first started with XP. I could get past the formatting part and the installation would complete, but many files wouldn't copy so I ended up skipping them. I switched out the cd-rom drive with 2 other ones (one internal and one external). It didn't work. One time, I managed to get all the files to install but during the set up process, I got the blue screen.

Ok, so I thought maybe trying vista would work. During one of the steps, I would once again get the BSOD. I tried xp and vista many times.

I concluded the cd-rom drive wasn't a problem. I next moved on to bios. I found a more recent version and flashed it. This time, the vista install went further, but then I ended up with the same screen.

I have a spare hdd. I am going to try putting that in tomorrow. Could memory be problem? Wouldn't the install mess up earlier if memory was a problem? I am getting really frustrated since EACH install ends with the blue screen.

Thanks for any help.

Btw, I am using a foxconn motherboard with Phoenix bios.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

It's possible your RAM is faulty... To test it, read on. This is some information from one of our wonderful Tech Moderators.

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

With Memtest86 the Report is accumulated on-screen while the test is scanning with various patterns.
A Pass % (percentage of Test completed) keeps a progress tally of any single test Run.
Each portion of a Test Run is called a "Pass". The term "Pass" is misleading, in that people could think it means "pass" as in a passing score.
But it actually means a "pass" like the full swing of a digital photo copy scanner swinging across the page.

Then below that Pass percentage is the progress of the specific pattern test
Below that is Testing: which shows the amount of RAM being Tested
Below that is a description of the Test Pattern being "passed" during that portion of the test.
For instance moving "inversions" "1" and "0", Then 8 bit pattern inversions, then on and on....
In pattern fefefefefe , or 45a2d44d, fffffffed, 00000020, etc

Below that information is the Results Report
Time, - Cached(RAM) - RsvdMem - MemMap - Cache on/off - ECC - Test Pass - - Errors - Ecc Errs

The critical indicator is the (green) Errors item
(on the actual test screen it is not highlighted in green and I am just using the highlight to point you at the correct item)

We won't often see any results in the ECC Errs section since this is for ECC RAM which is most often used in Servers requiring Error Correction Chip RAM. (ECC RAM stick look the same as non-ecc, but have an additional small chip for error correction) non-ecc = 8x64, ECC = 8x64 plus one small additional chip

"Any" number other than Zero under Errors constitutes a FAILURE

Ordinarily the number will be a quite LARGE number, but a smaller number (constituting a Random Sequence Error) can be just as deadly to the accurate performance of a machine as a steady failure.

The above information is "just how I have come to understand" MemTest86 results and does not constitute any sort of authoritative wisdom.

MemTest86 has quite a good Readme.txt that comes with the zipped download and as I recall also provides additional research links. It would be well to read it.

At the very Bottom of the MemTest86 screen is the Navigation Bar

(ESC)exit ( C ) configuration (sp) scroll_lock (cr)scroll_unlock

To EXIT memtest86 - press - ESC
(No need to turn off the machine, it will simply proceed to attempt to boot into Windows)

To configure other information for viewing - press - C

To get out-of the "other information" popup, just hit "space bar"

Hope this helps.
I was intimidated of MemTest86 the first few times I used it, just like the OP that you have been helping.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Thank you for that. I have run this for just 5 minutes and I have accumulated many errors.

New ram time.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well that was easy to find the problem! Sometimes it's not so easy... Let's hope that's the only problem, and once new RAM is installed there are no more other problems.

Do you know what kind of RAM you are going to purchase to replace the existing RAM? Are you going to install it yourself?

If you aren't sure, post the Make/Model of your motherboard here (Foxconn what?), and how much you would like to spend for the RAM, and we'll help you find compatible RAM that is within your budget.

It's rather easy to replace your own RAM if you are in any way technically inclined. There are many how-to's online if you search, or I'd be glad to walk you through it.

An alternative would be to take it down to your local computer shop, where I'm sure they'd be more than happy to do the lot for you.

Let me know what you decide.

Troy :)