Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu-z says ram is slow

• Please log in to reply

Shiesty

Shiesty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have 3gb of 800 mhz ram in my e660/pb5 set up. Cpu-z tells me my ram is running at 333 mhz. Whats the problem here?? Any help is appreciated.

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 512 MBytes, unknown brand
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 512 MBytes, unknown brand
Module 3 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
Module 4 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well first you have DDR2 ram which transfers data twice on each clock cycle, so the transfer rate is actually twice the speed that you see. The machine will default to whatever is the slowest part of the system, in most cases, so as to prevent errors. Since you have some 5300 in it will run at 333. You could try taking the 5300 out and see if it speeds up, that's a simple enough test.

But there is another factor, that is the front side bus speed of the CPU. If the CPU has a 333mhz FSB speed then that is all you will get regardless of the maximum memory speed.