Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC is on but none of my peripherals are working!

• Please log in to reply

BrokenPC!123

BrokenPC!123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When i turn my computer on the light that tells you it is on acts normally by remaining on but the light next to it does nothing. my screen is plugged in and definitely working but it acts as if the computer is on standby. My mouse and keyboard also don't seem to work.

My computer is a Shuttle XPC. I have added a XFX Nvidia GEForce 8500GT 'Fatal1ty' edition graphics card and an extra 1GB of DDR2 Ram making a total of 2GB Ram.

It has been working fine since the day i bought it and even after the card and ram were installed it was fine. I unplugged it to move it and that was when it refused to work.

Is there any way i can fix this problem without having to take it for repair?

Advertisements

FranDavey

FranDavey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, when you turn the computer on, do you get any beeps during the power on self-test? Double check the connections from your monitor to your computer, on both ends. Do you get any response from the keyboard on booting up (ie, Numlock responds when pressed)? By the "light next to it" do you mean the hard drive activity LED indicator? You should check the connections there too.

Be sure the PC's power cord is unplugged before you mess with any connections.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
The first thing that you should check is your power supply.
Do you have a known good power supply that you can swap with the exsisting one?
Please read this before you do any thing.

BrokenPC!123

BrokenPC!123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah the hard drive indicator is what i meant to say :)

I think it could be an issue with the hard drive but there is no beeping noises from the power self test but it never has made that beeping noise. I also dont get a response from the keyboard, numlock, caps and scroll aren't responding. Normally when i boot up my back light in the keyboard lights up yet now it stays completely black

The computer seems to be fine power wise but i might try a new power supply but im not sure of the price, my current supply says its Total max power is 250W is that enough or should i invest in a larger one?

BrokenPC!123

BrokenPC!123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help i got it working, tuns out it was a problem with the HDD connections.

Really grateful!!

:) :)