Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply

twonk

twonk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my external hard drive has failed,i took it to pc world they told me it was the board that ran the h/d had failed,i asked is i bought the same drive again could i just swap the boards over and get it running,they said it had to be the serial number and batch number and so on,dont know if thats right or not,but if thats the case and heres my question
can i physically take the discs from one h/d unit and transfer them into another unit
hope all this makes sence,two years work riding on this

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Should be easy enough to do a straight swap into another caddy.
Unless its a Maxtor OneTouch drive or something similar. These typically can't be interchanged due to the software involved in the firmware.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

can i physically take the discs from one h/d unit and transfer them into another unit

Are you asking if you can take the hard drive apart and take the disks from the bad 1 and put them in a new 1?

If so, I would not recommend it. They are put together with precision.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Are you asking if you can take the hard drive apart and take the disks from the bad 1 and put them in a new 1?

If so, I would not recommend it. They are put together with precision.

And in a dust-free environment.
Take a HDD to pieces in a dusty environment and it'll be toast before you even clap eyes on the insides.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you just clarify what it is you're trying to do please?
The way I read it, it sounds like you're talking about swapping the circuit board inside the hard drive itself or the disk platter (the bit that actually stores the data). It also occurred to me though that you could be talking about swapping the caddy part as this is an external hard drive).

If you did mean the actual disk platter, then forget it. Drives are essentially assembled in a vacuum - if something as small as a smoke particle gets inside it, it can cause damage. If you meant the circuit board (PCB) in the drive itself, then this may be possible to do, so long as the replacement board is absolutely identical.

If however you meant the caddy, then this shouldn't be too much of a problem, given that most external drives are basically internal drives that get fitted into an external housing (caddy).