Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(trojan.wimad)dcbc2a71-70d8-4dan-ehr8-e0d61dea3fdf.ini

• Please log in to reply

rev 766

rev 766

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my girlfriend has an hp laptop. it's a bit old, her parents kind of handed it down. it's running xp, and has norton antivirus, which i don't condone.

the computer has a 40gig HD which for her schoolwork should be plenty. but...

lately if you leave the computer on for a day or so the free space goes from about 3gigs to about 12megs. i will run ccleaner and the windows cleaner and reboot and the freespace will be back up to 2 or 3gigs. a little while later it's saying there is not enough memory to run live update. i even took all of her and her family's documents and stored them on my external HD to free up space. when i did that and rebooted, the space went up to 7gigs, but that was 3 weeks ago, and it hasn't topped 4 since then.

there are 2 issues i am wondering/concerned about.

1-the other day we got norton to scan and it found a trojan. this seems to me like an explanation, but after the supposed disinfection of the virus it is still having the same problem. how the [bleep] can i get the thing off of there if this is the problem and norton sucks?

2-the recycle bin is the "norton protected" recycle bin. basically, anytime you delete anything it seems to save it for a while. if you leave the computer sitting for a day or so, without touching it, all of a sudden there are 1500 protected files in there. i think that must be as high as it goes. if it's a trojan, why the [bleep] is it downloading files and deleting them?

i found this site because i was trying to find a file ccleaner was trying to clean up which the computer claims never existed. i went down the file path and found some a couple files that seemed questionable. the first was dcbc2a71-70d8-4dan-ehr8-e0d61dea3fdf.ini and the second was gdipfontcachev1.dat . for some reason, the dat file has a media player icon.

i did a search for the first one, the ini file and found this thread

right now i have the laptop disconnected from the internet. if anyone can help me out with this i would really appreciate it. i thought about just following the directions from the other thread, but i'm assuming that would not work since it is a different set of files.

Edited by rev 766, 06 June 2008 - 09:50 PM.

Advertisements