Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows definitions/update problem, Error code: 0x80070002

• Please log in to reply

SethSquall

SethSquall

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Every time I start up my PC windows defender tells me with a little bubble from the taskbar that "Windows can't check for updates". When I open Windows defender I am told the same and given the error coed 0x80070002. If I go into security center and try to update I am told, "Windows can't search for new updates" and given the error code 80070002, which is the same as windows defender really right?

So when I try the help and support that is on my PC I am told,

To stop the Windows Update service
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click to open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Stop.

To delete temporary update files
Click to open Computer.

Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed, typically drive C.

Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To restart the Windows Update service
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click to open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Restart.

Firstly. I don't have "Window Update service" in services to right click and stop.

Secondly. I don't have a SoftwareDistribution folder. I tried to make one thinking that might help but it didn't work.

Also, I have been emailing Microsoft and they have been telling me to do the same thing that the above is, although through the cmd thing. Doesn't work though.

Things that I feel like I should mention. I did have McAfee firewall but it had run out. So I deleted it and installed AVG. I'm not sure whether that was around the time the problem happened or not.

I hope I've explained myself enough and I hope you guys can help out, I really appreciate it.

Advertisements

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
in case this is still relevant i belive i just had the exact same issue and this solution helped med even on a non dell pc

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310794