Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC tries to install programs that are already installed

• Please log in to reply

salmonandrichmond

salmonandrichmond

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Fenzodahl512 sent me to this forum, hoping you could solve my other problem. Fen helped me to rid my computer of some nasty malware, but I still have a lingering problem related to the malware.

Frequently and intermittently, a Windows Installer box pops up and says "Preparing to install". Then it quickly changes to a new box, that says "Please wait while Windows configures WordPerfect Office 12". An installation bar fills about 3/4 full, and a new window pops us and says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert WordPerfect Office 12 disk and click OK". When I hit cancel, a new box says "Error code 1706. No valid source could be found for WordPerfect Office 12. Installer cannot continue."

This just started happening when my computer was recently infected with malware. I think WordPerfect already came installed on the computer, at least as far as I can remember, so I don't think I even have a CD-ROM. Wordperfect still works for me, but these windows opening up all the time is very annoying. I also cannot install anything else while these windows are opened. And sometimes the installation window opens up over and over and over again, and I can barely make a move without having to respond to a window.

I thought these windows would stop once all the malware was removed, but it hasn't helped. As a matter of fact, when I completed the final step of the malware removal, another installation window popped up, trying to install Quick Books. So far, that has only appeared the one time. But why is this happening at all? Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
The reason these windows are poping up is probably because the malware damaged some of the files.
The best way to get rid of them is to insert the disk and let it install, however since you don't have this disks that's going to be rather difficult :)

I see you're still using Wordperfect so un-installing it wouldn't be an option?
Wordperfect is simply missing files it needs replacing so I think it's a tricky one.

I'm affraid I can only give information and not a fix right now.
If you're willing you can always switch to alternatives and un-install wordperfect.

Regards,
Olrik

salmonandrichmond

salmonandrichmond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Olrik,

Thanks for the information. At least I know what the cause is now. I've been using WordPerfect and Microsoft Word forever. What would you recommend in its place? I'm not familiar with other word processor programs. I use WP mainly for writing papers ( I write ALOT of papers ), letters, and various work projects, so I'd need something comparable.

Thanks again!
Salmonandrichmond

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
at this site theres a list you can choose from

http://filehippo.com/software/office/

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It's really a list with a lot of Word Processors.
More viewers / readers Mr. Freeze.
A Free alternative (I use it too) Is OpenOffice.org
You'll need to be carefull when saving them though, since the normal format is something like .odt which word2003 can't open.
When saving a document choose the save as... option and in the bottom of the 2 dropdown boxes choose "word2003/XP" etc. which ends in .doc

Direct link here.

Regards,
Olrik