Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

was this a bad idea?

• Please log in to reply

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I just uninstalled my only virus protection. and is using spy bot and windows defender for spyware.

the virus program just wasted space and slowed comp down, in the last 3 years it never found anything or my comp never became infected.
i always careful where i go on internet, and only open the emails i know.

what do you guys think.

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Well... you can't really be too careful. I know people who have gotten viruses from doing absolutely nothing, or from inserting a friends infected [insert removable media] into their computer. I recommend having an AV installed at all times. Which one did you use before? Was it... God forbid... Norton? :)

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Was it... God forbid... Norton? :)

:) oh come on, is it really that bad? I
I've never used it before and don't know any techy that uses it so I'm not in a position to really critic it. :)

Anywaycharge06, it's thanks to your careful habits that your AV doesn't need to spot anything. But sometimes accidents do happen.
Like Fredil said, infected devices that get inserted or even people other than yourself that may use your PC may get your computer infected.

charge06

charge06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
im the only one that uses this comp

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Well, a single active AV shouldn't slow down your computer to a crawl, unless you have low-end parts (like me :)).

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

:) oh come on, is it really that bad?

YES!!! :) :( :wacko: :yes: It's awful!! :) :)

And as far as I'm concerned, McAfee's just as bad :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Ditto to the above comments :) charge06, if you want to pay for an antivirus, I would recommend NOD32, because it's so lightweight that it hardly uses any system resources at all. If you want a free one, I would recommend AntiVir.

Edited by Fredil, 07 June 2008 - 07:51 AM.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
I've always had a bad time with Norton. I still remember the times when I was a noob with computers, and Norton ended up making my computer completely useless to the point that I had to change the hard disk. :)

I really liked Antivir and AVG 7, they were free and so much more efficient than Norton.

I currently run Antivir, and it's fabulous. :)

Edited by Ltangelic, 07 June 2008 - 08:35 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

:) oh come on, is it really that bad?

YES!!! :) :( :wacko: :yes: It's awful!! :) :)

And as far as I'm concerned, McAfee's just as bad :)

This is so true!!!
To the original poster, it is not a good idea to to use your computer with out an anti-virus.
You can get an E-mail that a trusted friend has fowarded to you and get some major infections.
The risk of getting a virus is great even with an anti-virus.
There are good programs that do not take up a lot of your resources that you can get.
I like Kaspersky for a paid anti-virus.