Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Morris6996

Morris6996

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Blue Screens constantly and changes error messages almost everytime. After it blue screens a couple times in a row, the computer will not start back up.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Morris6996...

Sounds like hardware. Power supply, RAM, or video card would be the most suspect with RAM at the top of the list because of the seemingly random error codes.

Does the machine blue screen when running in Safe Mode?

wannabe1

Morris6996

Morris6996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yes it has once. The problem has persisted for over a month. Originally it happened while trying to play EQ2 on a WiFi connection at a hotel I stayed at. Since then has blue screened constantly usually when performing maintenace issues or playing the game. Sometimes will run for a day or so then it just starts up again. I downloaded SP3 and it worked ok for about 2-3 days then started up again. The laptop gets really hot sometimes as well.

Morris6996

Morris6996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
as a side note i tried a new hard drive in it and after setting up the software it BSOD'd again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Heat is another thing that can cause this...let's have a look at each of them.

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and create the cd as outlined in the Quick Start Information on the download page. Boot your machine using this disk and let it run at least 4 complete passes. If you see any failures, it may indicate a bad RAM module.

Also download Speedfan and install it. Run this application to monitor the machine's temperatures and voltages. If you can attach a screenshot of the Speedfan window with the "Readings" tab selected, it may help us to see what's going on in respect to the power supply and cooling. If you are unable to provide a screen capture, report back with what temperatures are shown after the machine has run for a bit.

The fact that the problem seems to happen when the machine is under load, heat is starting to sound more like the culprit.

ABOO8274

ABOO8274

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to create the bootable cd, but it is not working.Any help?

Morris6996

Morris6996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I can not get my computer to burn the cd properly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It must be burned as an ISO image. You may need a burning program that will do this...download ISO Recorder...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on.

Installing this application will add "Copy Image to CD" to your right click context menu. Simply right click on the downloaded memory diagnostics file and select that option to start the burning program. You should be able to burn this disk using the default settings.