Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COMPUTER BUILDING - HELP

• Please log in to reply

georgethomas

georgethomas

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,

I have a ASUS striker II Extreme 790i ultra SLi motherboard and a QUAD CORE 6600 CPU.

I would like to build a PC, I am new at it.

I would be grateful if anyone here would help me out.

I would like to know what all I have to buy

1) RAM? DDR3 - which one ? wat rating
2) PSU - how much Max watts
3) What Case?

Kindly help me out?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

You have not mentioned what your uses for this computer will be, or how much $$$ you are looking to spend (i.e. budget). Here are some thoughts for you to consider:
  • There are many different types of RAM. Your motherboard supports DDR3 @1333MHz natively, so I would choose a set of this. Here is a link to a Patriot example. This is a 4GB kit.
  • A power supply will depend on the overall configuration of your system. There's no point recommending a 500W unit if you intend to run SLI 9800GTX's, as the power requirements would be more than 500W for this setup.
  • Cases usually come down to personal preference. You would need to find one that supports the ATX Form Factor. Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Silverstone, and a few others make really nice cases in my opinion.
And don't forget, when you're building a new system, that you have all components ready to go! Here's what you will need:
  • Case
  • Motherboard (ASUS Striker II Extreme)
  • CPU (Q6600)
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
  • Hard Drive
  • Optical Drive (like DVD Burner)
  • Operating System
  • Mouse
  • Keyboard
  • Monitor
  • Speakers
You may have some of these you want to use already (like monitor, keyboard, and mouse). Let us know what you have got, and what you still need, and how much your budget is for the build - and the uses!

Cheers

Troy

georgethomas

georgethomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Thanku for the reply.

I already Have as told earlier

AUS striker ii 790i MOBO
Cool Master 1000 watt PSU sli ready
Quad core 6600 - CPU
Antec 900 - Case
Mouse
Keyboard
Display

What I require is now

RAM
Graphic Card

As the CPU is supplied with heathsink and Fan, do I need to buy something like - Thermalright Ultra Extreme (with a Noctua fan), or Noctua's own NH-P12, or a Xigmatek 1283

How to have a remote for the CPU?

Do I need any sound card with that MOBO?

I have no budget constraints

I

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 would be my choice out of those units, it's an excellent one.

What kind of "remote" are you talking about for the CPU?

The motherboard has onboard audio, so I would suggest just using it. Unless you are an extreme audiophile, or want a complete surround sound speaker setup, the onboard audio will be just fine.

So you are after RAM and a graphics card? What did you think of the RAM suggestion I posted in #2? Or are you looking to install something a bit faster, and overclock it to it's specifications? Is 4GB enough for your purposes?

For the graphics card, are you looking to run just a single high-end card, or are you looking into SLI?

Cheers

Troy :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hi Troy,

I have now got the following stuff with me ( some are in transit)

1) Asus Striker Extreme II 790i

2) Q6600 CPU,

3) Noctua NH-U12F - heat sink and fan FOR CPU

4) nVidia Geforce 9800 GX2 9800GX2 1GB 512Bit DDR3 - XVGA

5) cool master PSU sli ready 1000 watts

6) Seagate 500gb sata drive -

7) antec 900 case ---

only the ram is missing, I am not sure with the RAM - I want something inbetween - not high end and not low end one.

Is there anything else remaining.

About the remote, I would like to know how I can install a sensor inside the Desktop for using remote for the computer - for Media Centre etc, to switch off the computer- is thr somthing in the market which can be attached internally rather than a USB which is attached outside

Cheers

Hi there,

Just a reminder that no help is allowed via PM. I have posted your message here and will reply below:

I would say the RAM I posted in #2 would be exactly what you're asking for - there are much better ones out there, and also not as good... Patriot make good quality RAM, so considering the market prices and specifications, I'll stick to that recommendation.

For your "remote", it sounds like this may fit your description, but you'll need bluetooth capabilities for this particular model. The only bluetooth adapters I can find are either USB or for notebook computers... :)

I personally would add something like this - yes it would take up one USB port, but it's extremely small and unlikely to present a hassle. If it's the taking up of one USB port you're worried about, you can add more with an expansion card.

I hope these ideas are helpful!

Cheers

Troy