Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I transfer my files to a newly bought Hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hello guys! Please excuse me if I posted this issue in the wrong place, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I owned an old PC with a 40GB IDE PATA drive. There's nothing wrong with it but I guess I'm loosing some space. I've got a lot of software, programs and personal files installed, so I decided to purchase a new hard drive. I bought a bnew Seagate 160GB SATA and I'm planing to make it as the master drive where the OS would normally boot. Is that possible? I've heard that there is an easy way to copy files without reinstalling each and every bit of it.

I read the internet about the process called "Disk Cloning". Some say that if this is done correctly the new hard drive would normally boot as if transfering didn't happen. The only thing is I don't know how to do this. I'm really a noob at computers. A friend of mine suggested me to use norton ghost because it's safe and reliable. So I did bought the software "Norton Ghost 14.0" but I dont know how to use it (what a nood I am)" Would you guys help me out and tell me the correct procedure on how to do this. It's ok for me if its simplified I know its hard to give instructions to a noob like me in a detailed manner.

This is my computer specs to give you guys and idea on what system I have.

Intel Celeron 2.40 Ghz
AsRock P4i65GV motherboard (supports SATA)
2x512MB DDR400 RAM (so it makes it 1GB in total
Nvidia GeForce 4 MX4000
Samsung 40GB PATA HDD
1 Sony DVD-RW Dual Layer ram drive
1 Sony DVD/CD-RW combo drive

PS. My old hard drive has 2 partitions a "C" and a "D", I hope you guys would help me out. Please? TNX very much in advance!!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you get a solftware CD with your Seagate disk? It will contain all the software you need including the SATA drivers and easy to use cloning software. Just put it in the drive and boot from it to do the installation. You will need to have your current drive set as master and the new one as slave for the cloning process.

If you didn't get a software disk then go to the Seagate web site and download the .iso file for the latest software and burn it to disk as an image.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I checked the website and downloaded discwizard from seagate. I've already read the instructions. I want to create 2 partitions on the new SATA drive, C and D both having 80GB each. I got only one question, how can I copy the partition on old hard drive to its exact location on the partitions that I have created on the new SATA drive. from C to C and D to D. As I have understood discwizard creates and image of the whole disc as it is. The old hard drive is 40GB and the new SATA drive is 160GB. If I copy the exact image of the old hard drive to the new drive it would only use 40GB as well if so, what about the other 120GB left? This is what I have in my mind, the old C is 20GB only and the new C is 80GB how would the image be separated to the other partition using 80GB each? I'm really confuse about it. Would you guys clear my mind a little bit. TNX again in advance

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Not to worry about the size problem. I've cloned 10gb partitions to 80gb drives without any trouble. The software will write the correct boot sector and MBR for the drive and the cloning process will not overwrite it.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Ah I see, thnx sir. I'll let you know if I successfully cloned the disc, but maybe I'll be back after 2 days. TNX again!!!