Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help needed to resolve blue screen issues

• Please log in to reply

wils124

wils124

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running windows XP. I recently got a blue screen (A problem has been detected and windows have been shut down. . .) The "technical information" lists "STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, 0xF89B5814, 0xF89B5514, 0xF815ABBA)" and "ntfs.sys - Address F815ABBA base at F814E000, DateStamp 3d6de5c1"

I have tried booting my computer in safe mode, last known good configuration mode and from CD. When I try to boot from safe mode or last known good configuration, it does not get past the Windows XP loading screen (it is on that screen for about 2 seconds) before going back to the above mentioned blue screen. When I try to boot from CD, after selecting set up windows XP, I get the blue screen again (the same happens when I try to repair)

I have scanned the hard drive and everything looks ok. Any ideas? I really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error can be caused by a faulty hard drive.
Boot off the XP CD again and instead of pressing Enter, press R instead.
If prompted, select the C:\Windows installation (normally option 1), press Enter, type any Administrator password that's set (or press enter if it's blank) and press Enter.

Then type "chkdsk /p /r" and press Enter. It'll tell you it's going to scan the disk. That's fine, let it finish. Depending on the size and state of the drive this can take anything up to a couple of hours, maybe more. You may want to make and drink coffee at this point - mine's white and one, thanks :)

When finished, make a note of any messages and then type exit. Computer will restart and hopefully you're away cooking on gas.

wils124

wils124

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I press "R" it goes directly to the blue screen. I am guessing a new hard drive may be in order? Thanks.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like it.
Just out of interest you may want to run a memory test as well - http://www.memtest86.com/ for that because if you have faulty memory its pointless changing the hard drive when the culprit was something else all along.