Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help with my PC.

• Please log in to reply

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey, I haven't posted here in a while.. But, if you remember my other posts, then you will know that my version of Windows XP got hacked into. Recently, I was thinking of alot of ways to get my old version of Windows XP back. (Because I installed Windows Vista.) And I tried getting help from some of my friends from MSN. They couldn't help me, so I just decided to post here again. Okay, I was wondering if there was a way I can access my Windows XP files from my Windows Vista. Because I still have the option to start up Windows XP. But when I press on Windows XP, it says that "hal.dll" is either missing or corrupt, reinstalling the program may fix the problem. But, like I said, if you read any of my other posts, I said that I didn't have a recovery disk for Windows XP. So...I didn't have anything to do one day, so I went to www.dll-files.com, and download "hal.dll". So....I was wondering if there was a way I could access my Windows XP files, and put "hal.dll" in a certain folder so I can actually start up my Windows XP without having an error. If there is a way, can somebody please tell me how to access them, and tell me where exactly to put "hal.dll"?

Thank You,
Danny :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The REALLY smart guys work on the next shift. Being not so smart myself I would suggest that you buy a recovery disk or any other version of XP, format, wipe all the OS installations and start afresh.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can access XP files from Vista but you'd need to take the drive out and inside your Vista machine, connect it up before it'll see anything.

Back up anything important and then I would probably just wipe it and go for a fresh installation. hal.dll missing doesn't tell you the whole story, it usually means a half dozen other files are missing or corrupt as well. If you want you can try a Windows repair off your XP CD.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

You can access XP files from Vista but you'd need to take the drive out and inside your Vista machine, connect it up before it'll see anything.

Back up anything important and then I would probably just wipe it and go for a fresh installation. hal.dll missing doesn't tell you the whole story, it usually means a half dozen other files are missing or corrupt as well. If you want you can try a Windows repair off your XP CD.

What do you mean when you say "You can access XP files from Vista but you'd need to take the drive out and inside your Vista machine, connect it up before it'll see anything."?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Take the drive out the XP machine and put it (or connect to the mainboard) in the Vista machine.
The only other way would be networking it but as your computer doesn't boot anyway this isn't a possibility as you need a working Windows.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Take the drive out the XP machine and put it (or connect to the mainboard) in the Vista machine.
The only other way would be networking it but as your computer doesn't boot anyway this isn't a possibility as you need a working Windows.

no...this is alltogether one PC....

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It sounds like what you did was have XP on the hard drive and then you installed Vista on the same drive and you now have a dual boot.
And now the dual boot (XP) is not working.
Is this correct?
You can repair the XP if you have the CD or can borrow one.

I do not believe you can access the XP files from the Vista in this configuration. I will humbly bow to being corrected if I am wrong.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

I do not believe you can access the XP files from the Vista in this configuration. I will humbly bow to being corrected if I am wrong.

You can if the Vista installation is still working.
If neither installation is working now the only way to get anything off it short of repairing XP and/or Vista, is to connect the drive to another computer.