Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worm.win32.netbooster and more

• Please log in to reply

DisguisedFury

DisguisedFury

• Pip
  • 1 posts
!!!I'm a forum newb...no idea where this is going...sorry!!!

Alright, I'd love to try the steps listed but I can't access the internet on the infected machine. I tried to copy some of the files and transfer them to the infected computer but it won't accept any USB drives or disks... Here are a few symptoms to clarify the problem.

Task Manager disabled by administrator (I am set as administrator)
VIRUS ALERT! in taskbar next to time
Start menu configured so "Control Panel" and "programs" do not show, however I switched to classic start menu and most options were visable
Icons "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" and "Spyware&Malware Protection" on desktop
Windows Security Alert -"Windows has detected an Internet Virus attempt... Somebody's trying to infect your PC with spyware or harmful viruses. Run full system scan now to protect your PC from Internet attacks, hijacking attempts and spyware! click here to download spyware remover for total protection."
Most anything I click on the desktop doesn't open, only from programs in the classic start menu.
Spyware Alert-"Security Warning! Worm.win32.NetBooster detected on your machine. The virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and Active-X objects. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers e-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases the worm can allow attackers to acces your computer, stealing passwords and personal date. This process should be removed from your system. TYPE: Virus SYSTEM AFFECTED: Windows 2000, NT, ME, XP, Vista SECURITY RISK (0-5): 5 RECOMMENDATIONS: Click yes to remove it from your PC immediately."
It also tries to connect me to

I've ran Norton in safe mode, all it found was "Zango" and that didn't resolve anything. I ran it in normal mode (randomly clicked the icon for a day and a half, if finally ran a scan) and it found nothing.
I did 'msconfig' and unchecked all startup options, I deleted all internet files, cookies..etc, add/remove any suspicious files.
as I said, I know this problem isn't new, but all of the help was downloaded online and I'm unable to connect to the internet. Thank you for any help given.

Edited by Rorschach112, 08 June 2008 - 06:21 PM.
Removed link

Advertisements