Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA & IDE Drives

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
New ASUS P5KPL-CM motherboard, WD 250G SATA drive. Installed WIN XPSP2 and updated. Installed my all my necessary programs - everything AOK!! What a great day!! NOT. I connected my storage IDE WD HDD, booted up and the system asked what windows i wanted to use (I have 98 and XP on this drive). i entered xp and than hit enter to start normally and got BSOD - i THINK the error was in pci.sys. Since then i cannot recreate this error.

After checking bios, tweaking it and reset it to its default, now the system halts at a black screen "reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". At another time i got "missing operating system". I've tried changing the boot device and using the MB cd but nothing happens, get right back to the black screen.

Right now the SATA drive is NOT seen in the bios and i know it was earlier. It sees the IDE drive and CdRom.

Edited by galec, 08 June 2008 - 08:57 AM.

Advertisements

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Ive never waited this long for input. Someone please help. TY.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
While there are a lot of different BIOSes (so it is very difficult to give specific directions), you will want to look for an interface priority option and change SATA to a higher priority over IDE, or a hard drive priority option and change the SATA hard drive to a higher priority over the IDE hard drive.

And sorry for the delay in responding. Remember to post in The Waiting Room if your topic has gone 3 days without a response.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
thanks but im not sure how to go about that. Ive been through everything in the setup and don't remember anything like that. did not know about the Waiting Room; i have always rec'd a reply quickly

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
this is probably the first time I did not get much help at this site, disappointing.

Problem solved!! DUH, power not connected to HDD!!! Never noticed it since its black and on the inside of the drive.