Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm seeking PC build advice.

• Please log in to reply

JacobH0922

JacobH0922

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I would like a PC that would be good for movies,photoshop,and games. I like to play WoW and other games on that level. I'm obviously not a "hardcore gamer" but I would like to start playing more games and I feel if I had a PC more capable of playing them I would. I don't have a lot of money and it seems it'll cost about 1/3rd less to build your own. The problem is: I have never done it and not sure exactly what to look for to compare items. I would greatly appreciate imput from those that do. I need to know what all I need to buy and on a scale of one to ten: How hard is it to assemble and what is the risk of doing something wrong and creating an expensive paperweight. I Have looked through a lot of posts and site withinfo on the subject. Below is a list of all the things that I am aware that I have to buy. If you wouldn't mind read over it and reply w/ advice or imput. Let me know if is a good idea,what would or wouldnt work and why. Also please inform me on anything that I would need to buy that I havent listed(like wires,cables,ect.) I have spare mice,keyboard and monitor so I didn't put those. Oh and sorry I know there are 100s of these topics,but I didn't want to "take over" someone else's.

OS- I basically just want to know if I should get Vista. I've read a lot of bad things about it,but I don't know if it's just the usual "it's different so I'm going to point out or make up every little thing bad about it I can think of" type of case.

Case- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811164081 I like the fact it has a big fan and already has a 500w power supply,I assume 500w is enough. advice welcomed. Not looking to spend more then $50,unless it comes with a power Supply.

Ram- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145040 I know more would be better,but I can get that later,unless it's better to have 2-1 gigs rather than 4-500mb.

HD-http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822210003 Agian,I don't know much about what to look for,just through reading have seen that rpm matters more than space,and sata better than IDE(No clue what the difference is,just seen it mentioned a few times).

MediaDrive- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136147 Will I need a "non-burning" drive as well(not a huge issue since they are under 20 bucks,but currious.) Also will I need a floppy drive?(I think I've read a few places you need a floppy to install an OS)

Power supply-If the one that come with the case isn't good enough,please inform me.

Fan- Open to suggestions here if I need more.

Mobo- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813127034 I'm unsure exactly what to look for in a motherboard,all I know is the higher the FSB the better. Looking for best under $100(preferably around $75 if there isn't much difference)

Now for the two main pricey items that I really need the advice on:

Processor- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115052 Not sure what is the best thing to go after but it seemed this one was best for the price.

Video Card-http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130332 Same as above.

Edited by JacobH0922, 08 June 2008 - 02:33 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

It's always best to start your own thread for a new build (or any new topic), as bumping somebody else's can get really confusing at times! :)

For your operating system, there's much debate and divide over Vista vs. XP, but as a Vista user myself, I really like it and recommend it. If I ever have to use XP, I end up thinking "Vista is soooo much better!" However, it's your choice.

That case you have selected looks very average, and I would not use the PSU in it at all. This case is a decent unit while being cheap.

While 500W is a good choice for this build, don't skimp and get a cheap unit. A PSU that fails can also take out other components, and I'm sure you don't want an expensive doorstop! Almost any PSU that comes with a case cannot be trusted, unless you are looking at very high-end units. Something like this would be a good choice.

Yes - for a 2GB setup, 2x 1GB would be better. Here is what I would be choosing.

I have never heard of that brand for a hard drive! I strongly recommend you choose this Seagate, they have a 5-year warranty.

SATA is an interface - the way the unit connects to the motherboard. The cables are different from the older IDE style, and have a much faster data rate (which equals more performance!).

Also, I have selected here for you a SATA DVD Burner - and no you won't need a second one, this one can read and write.

This motherboard is simply fantastic for the price/performance. You don't need to worry about the FSB on the motherboard (i.e. the higher is not better), as long as it supports the FSB of the processor. The processor you have chosen is a good choice, it has a 1066MHz FSB which means it will be supported by the motherboard I have listed.

And for a little more $$$, you can get this really nice new 9600GT graphics card - a great performer for the price!

Cheers

Troy

JacobH0922

JacobH0922

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply. I see why the dvd burner I linked to will not work now. I'm fine with all your suggestions with a couple exceptions. I understand why a better quality power supply is important,but could you explain to me what makes the one you suggested to be worth twice the price as other 500w ones(and at the same as some 750w)?

Do I need to buy any additional fans(the only reason I picked that other case was because of the fan)? If so which ones?

Also how much better and whats the difference between Vista basic and Premium?

Edited by JacobH0922, 08 June 2008 - 10:50 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for the reply. I see why the dvd burner I linked to will not work now. I'm fine with all your suggestions with a couple exceptions. I understand why a better quality power supply is important,but could you explain to me what makes the one you suggested to be worth twice the price as other 500w ones(and at the same as some 750w)?

Do I need to buy any additional fans(the only reason I picked that other case was because of the fan)? If so which ones?

Also how much better and whats the difference between Vista basic and Premium?

He is right about the power supply in cheap cases. You DO NOT want to take the chance and use a 500w power supply for example included in a $40 case. The power supply will be made with cheap parts and it will not (REALLY) be a true 500W power supply. It would probably be more like a 350W.

On power supplies the prices varies on COMPANY NAMES and the specs of the power supply all around. You do get what you pay for on power supplies but the most important things are the specifications. Look at the AMPS on the rails of different power supplies the higher is better... Some power supplies has one HUGE rail as others have 3-4 rails with 20-22 amps a piece which is still good. In general, the easiest way for me to explain to newcomers DO NOT get a power supply that has below 18Ams on the 12 volt rails 20 AMPS or above is great if its a multi rail power supply from a good company... And you will be fine..

Do not even use the included power supply with that case (its very easy to tell its a cheap unit).

That silverstone is good or either a ocz gamexstream or something similar from a good company.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

The difference is in the build quality. Better internal components of the PSU and higher efficiency ratings... Which equates to a longer lasting, cooler running PSU. Here is another alternative that would be an excellent choice for the same money.

Yes, you could add this case fan and install it in the front of the case.

You can read about the differences of Home Basic and Home Premium here.

Troy :)

JacobH0922

JacobH0922

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First off,let me say a very big thank you to the both of you for sharing your time and knowledge with me. Below is the build you have suggested. Wanted to re-post it in one nice neat way so you and others can double check to make sure everything is there and will work together. Also could you post a link as to which Vista(or XP if you think it would be easier for someone of my skillset) I should go with. I know I would prefer Vist Home Premium,but I noticed different bit versions and the fact there are some at like $300 and others at about $100. I didn't want to buy something unuseable. Also if you know of an FAQ or article that explains step by step to an idiot on what order and where to assemble a pc,mind giving me the link so I don't have to search and just assume it's valid info.

Burner

Case

HD

Video Card

Power supply

Memory

Mobo

Processor

Fan

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Here is a link to Vista Home Premium, it's the one I suggest you use.

For a guide that can be a bit too comprehensive in places (and some information is slightly outdated, but the basics are all good) - try Gigabyte's guide. I feel justified in recommending it as you're intending on purchasing a Gigabyte motherboard. :)

Cheers

Troy