Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avira Antivir?

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I had a look at AV-Comparitives' latest test results and found that Avira Antivir completely outperforms all the major brands such as BitDefender, NOD32, McAfee, etc. Is this true? Is Avira Antivir truly the best product out there today? :)

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
AV comparisons at times can be weighted one way or another. Avira is a good product and is one that some Staff here in the Malware Removal forum are starting to recommend. :)

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
plus if you look at the small text on that report they say something like "there was a flaw in this phase of testing that may have led to performance only being measured at one small instance in time" their older reports are much more balanced

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I am a long time user of AVG, AVAST and ClamWin, but just recently installed Avira and it found two severe viruses none of the others seem to even know was there! I was impressed and will continue to use it for awhile before I dump AVG.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 08 June 2008 - 05:37 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I recommend Avira now myself. I find it to be particularly good at dealing with new infections. Definitely better than the programs you listed. McAfee ? Hmmm no thanks

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Would you recommend Avira above BitDefender? My license for BitDefender Internet Security will expire in 7 days, so I'm looking at a free alternative until all the vendors release their new products. How good is Avira's Real-Time Protection?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, it is one of the top-performing releases at present.

Avira's real-time scanning is very good.

You have already had 4 staff members (and now a Tech Apprentice) agree and recommend Avira as a good anti-virus. Try looking for another thread in this forum with that many!

If you have been using the firewall as part of the Internet Security suite, what firewall will you be using next? Are you running XP or Vista?

Troy

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

You have already had 4 staff members (and now a Tech Apprentice) agree and recommend Avira as a good anti-virus. Try looking for another thread in this forum with that many!

Yes, I see so. :) It's just unbelievable that a free product can demolish software such as BitDefender. I was told by many experts that BD and Kaspersky are the best out there, period. It seems that different people have different views I guess. :)

If you have been using the firewall as part of the Internet Security suite, what firewall will you be using next? Are you running XP or Vista?

I was thinking of using either Comodo or ZoneAlarm. Heard very good things about them both. Which would you recommend?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Kaspersky and Nod32 are some of the best, BitDefender is down the list... But that's the beauty of free software, you don't need to pay for applications that get the job done.

I have used both Comodo and ZoneAlarm, either one would be good. I would personally choose Comodo. :)

Troy

arnoldm

arnoldm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recommend Avira, used free edition for a long time and have purchased personal edition. Works well
AVG is also good and free, use it on my laptop