Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless to cable

• Please log in to reply

caryl

caryl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I thought this would be a simple question, easy to do, but I can't get the answer from anyone.

We have 3 desktop computers, the main one downstairs is hooked directly into the cable via a modem, then I have a wireless router hooked from the modem so the 2 computers upstairs can run wireless (also have a wireless signal extender upstairs).

Question: We want to take one of the wireless computers upstairs and hook it directly into the cable connection in that room, because it just isn't getting a good enough sign to run wireless.

If we get a splitter so we can run one cable to the TV, can we run another to the computer, and what do we need to hook the cable to the computer with (router? modem? something else? since the cable does not hook directly into the computer).

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
The wired cable for the laptop needs to come either directly from the modem or from the wireless router. You should have some "wired" ports on the back of the router. I assume you do not want to run a cable, that is why you are wireless.

Try moving the router to a different location. Set on the desk, on the floor, point the antennas in a different direction.

caryl

caryl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I do want the one computer upstairs (desktop) wired into the cable.

Each room is wired for cable, to be used for the TVs, can that cable be split and also wired into the upstairs desktop computer? If so, by what means?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

The wired cable for the laptop needs to come either directly from the modem or from the wireless router

What this means is that you can not use the same cable as the TV. You can not split it and use it for the laptop.
The modem is picking up the IP address from your provider off the TV cable. You have to come from the modem, or in your case from the router.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
the coaxial cable for the tv cannot be connected to the desktop upstairs. that would require a separate cable modem. you could try increasing your wireless signal or have the computer hardwired.

see this:

http://www.microsoft...relesstips.mspx

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just buying a $10 extension cable and extending the antennal out from my computer did wonders for improving signal strength. I haven't even tried putting on the external antenna I also bought to use as the little antenna that came with the wireless PCI card is working just great with full signal strength.

You may not get the same results, but depending on your wireless connections and whether you are having RFI interference, you might try changing the channel you use on your wireless to see if it helps.

Your main question has been answered about attaching computer to cable. Only by using another modem can you wire it up. Other alternative, which is worse than using the wireless, is to run your own ethernet cable from upstairs computer(s) to downstairs and hardwire it/them to router. Little more involved than what I said, but you get the idea.

Ron