Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A million problems with my computer..... please help!

• Please log in to reply

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok before I start I would just like to say that this has nothing to do with malware or anything because I just reinstalled Windows yesterday and I havent been to any malacious websites or anything soo please dont refer me to the Malware Section.

Ok so I had a corrupted installation of Windows XP Home so I was forced to format and install XP Pro with Service Pack 1.

Ok so the installation goes fine and im using my computer, but my sound wasnt working so I went to Device Manager and I saw a bunch of devices with the yellow mark on them so I uninstalled them and then rebooted. Then my nightmare began.

When I rebooted it prompted me to reinstall those devices as expected, but none of them worked. Now everytime I boot it prompts me to install the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) driver but it always fails. Now I have an array of problems.

- I cannot open some programs such as AIM or Malware Bytes Anti Malware (When I try to open MBAM, I get a Run-Time Error 372)
- I cannot drap and drop anything.
- I cant copy and paste text for some reason.

And a whole lot of other things so please help.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
When you reinstall an OS you have to reinstall the drivers as well. This is why you have the yellow exclamation points.
Where did you get the copy of XP pro?
Since the copy of XP home was corrupt, and you did not reinstall or repair it I wonder if the XP pro is a valid copy.
If you are using pirated software you may have, infection, corrupt files, an incomplete image,Etc...

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I got the Cd from a friend, its a copy of the original cd. Im about to reinstall Xp all over again but not make the mistakes I did lst time, but I dont want to because then I gotta reinstall all the programs and all that blah....

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You are using pirated software!
A copy made from some one elses original disc is illegal.
I do not help people who use illegal software. Please buy a valid copy of Windows.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
uhgg...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

You are using pirated software!
A copy made from some one elses original disc is illegal.

this is actually incorrect...it's the COA that can't be copied

as long as you're using the COA from YOUR computer and you're installing the same version of windows (i.e. xp home or xp pro... AND either OEM or retail) then using someone else's CD is fine....if you try to use an OEM COA on a Retail cd install it won't work and vice versa

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Point for dsenette.

Try this:

Reinstall Windows. Then find the drivers for these unknown devices from the manufacturer of them - without knowing the make/model/components we can't help with that.

Uninstalling devices left and right usually doesn't have a good effect on your system operability.