Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to grant full privileges to all user accounts

• Please log in to reply

patrick_1

patrick_1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently had a virus that:

disabled task manager
disabled some start menu items
no cmd
'VIRUS ALERT!' in time area of taskbar
desktop icons removed/changed
blinking screen every two secs
IE could connect as it was set wrong start page

Through your malware forums I was able to almost completely resolve/remove these issues. ATM when I boot in regular mode I don't have full admin privileges, particularly modify registry, which I need to finish removal of the virus.

When I boot in safe mode I have the choice of owner and admin login and chose admin. Here I was able to completely clean registry with full privileges and everything works fine. I went to open the user account icon in the control panel to grant full privileges to all accounts but I get a script error. The script error dialog box is blank with no description and I'm given the option to proceed anyway yes or no. I've tried both and the computer hangs requiring a reboot. I don't know if this scrift error is a result of the virus, something I did to remove it, or unrelated. Is there another way to change user account privileges? How can I fix/remove/reset this script error to be able to change user account priv?

I'm not sure if I should post this in the malware forums instead, please advise.

Thank you in advance for any help you may have.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik