Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot load https sites or Windows update in IE7

• Please log in to reply

packerjim2001

packerjim2001

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Interestingly, this problem started from the fact that I could not update my accounts in Quicken 2007. I read that Quicken gets some of its settings from IE. When I try to connect to an https webpage, including my Linksys router settings, I get the error page "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". If I run the "Diagnose connection problems", it says to check some port settings in my firewall. I uninstalled Comodo firewall and AVG 8 Free, and still get this error page and message. I also cannot connect to Windows update, as it gives me similar messages. I also have Firefox installed, and can connect to secure sites just fine.

I should also note that Quicken was updating fine when I was running the eTrust EZ Armor suite. I uninstalled because my subsription ran out, and replaced with Comodo and AVG 8 Free. It was after this that the problems started. Again, I am currently not running any firewall or antivirus and still have the problems.

I am running XP Pro SP2. I am not sure what other information you might want.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
av8 places a toolbar or plugin into ie8. please make sure that is disabled and/or removed.

packerjim2001

packerjim2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is. I did not install it when I installed the program, and uninstalled AVG8 when I noticed this problem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, I found some info here. Essentially they recommend that you try disabling UAC first. If that doesn't work you can try disabling protected mode. However, turn off Protected Mode in IE 7 will expose computer to security risks.

packerjim2001

packerjim2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Starjax, I reviewed your last reply. The solutions appeared to be for Windows Vista. I am running XP Pro, and do not have the settings to change that the article discusses.

The problem occured after I upgraded to IE7. Is there any way to downgrade back to IE6. I do not have a restore point.

I have also reviewed some other "related" posts that appear to have issues with malware. Could this be the potential cause?

Thanks!

Edited by packerjim2001, 16 June 2008 - 08:44 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you shoudl be able to go to add/remove programs and uninstall ie7 from there.

packerjim2001

packerjim2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Where would I be able to get IE6 to install?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
to uninstall ie7 for windows xp:

Method 1: Use "Add or Remove Programs" to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
Step 1: Use "Add or Remove Programs" to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
c. In the list of programs, click Windows Internet Explorer 7, and then click Remove.
d. Follow the wizard instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 7.

Method 2: Use Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
Step 1: Make hidden files and hidden folders visible
a. Click Start, and then click My Documents.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
c. Click the View tab.
d. In the Advanced settings list, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Step 2: Run Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click OK.
c. Follow the wizard instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 7.

full kb article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4.

However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available.

Some people have problems with the command line above. A small VB Script that will execute the command for you can be downloaded here. Save the file to your hard drive and double click it to run IE Setup.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q318378

packerjim2001

packerjim2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Starjax, thanks for the info. I uninstalled IE7 through method 1. When I restarted the computer, IE6 was already there waiting for me (I did not have to install it). Unfortunately, the problem persists. I still cannot access any https site, including the settings for my Linksys router. Quicken still will not update, as I am confident the problems are connected.

Could this be a malware or virus problem? I am running IE7, Comodo firewall and AVG8 on another XP Pro computer with no problems. Is it possibly time to run Hijack This?

Also, I found an article that suggested running sfc /scannow. When I ran it, the small window came up with the progress bar stating that it was going to check the integrity of the files. The progress bar doesn't move at all, and after about a minute, it just disappears. If I run the script again, the CMD screen blinks on the screen for a millisecond, and then nothing. I don't get the progress bar unless I restart the computer, and the same thing happens. I don't know if they are related, but they might be and I thought I would let you know.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by packerjim2001, 18 June 2008 - 08:48 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you need an xp cd to run any of the repairs that we have recommended or you may have tried. I suggest that we need to do the steps in post 9. You can post a hijackthis log in the malware forum, but at this time I don't see anything that would suggest that it was needed.

packerjim2001

packerjim2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Starjax, I re-installed IE as you suggested in post #9. The result is the same - cannot access secure or https sites. As a reminder, I am currently not running any firewall or antivirus programs that might be interfering.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

packerjim2001

packerjim2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey Starjax. Sorry for the delay in responding. I ultimately resolved the situation by zeroing out the HD and reinstalling XP. I no longer have the problem. Thanks again for your help!