Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adding ram

• Please log in to reply

ravantwin

ravantwin

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I recently updated my video card and also went from 1 gb of ram to 3 gb of ram. My computers operates on windows XP and my motherboard is
an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and the Ram was purchased from Kahlon, they advised me to purchase according to the motherboard. The problem is, it fails memtest, all of them. When I install all three gigs, the computer randomly crashes, I get a blue screen of death. Also, there are many memtest errors, even if I check each one of them separately. In addition, over time, the computer starts to encounter the blue screen of death more frequently and also just randomly reboots. Kahlon has offered to allow me to return this but first wanted me to update my bios. I'm not sure how to, but according to their directions I went to the asus site, put in my motherboard type and just saved all of them. They are all zipped files, I wasn't sure what to do with them. I read that I should extract all so I did. I did all of this with my old ram in. Then reinstalled the new ram. It is still having the same errors and problems. Have I not installed the new bios correctly? Is it possible all three gigs of ram are bad? The kahlon peeps told me that is very unlikely. Uncertain what to do at this point. Thanks, Sincerely, Sharon

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: If you have the old video card please re-install it and run memtest again.

2: Your computer requires DDR 400 modules. Could you tell us the details of the new memory modules (volume, speed, etc.)

3: reset the BIOS following these instructions: Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi and thank you for the quick reply. I do not have the old video card, the fan burned out and it burned up. I ordered the new one from tiger direct and it seems to work ok with my old ram. It is an ATI Radeon X1650PRO and was a bugger to get working, had a very hard time finding the driver for it, but the tech-rep spent almost two hours on the phone getting it to work for me.

The memory from Kahlon is, as labeled by them: 1 GB Memory (PC2700) for ASUS A7N8X-E/A7N8X-E Deluxe AKU # KASU1GA Serial Number(s) 644747-644749.

On the side of the memory itself, it says...

elpida taiwan
D5108AFTA-58-E
080608A050003

I will reset the bios now.

Sinderely, Sharon

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
hello skeptic, I have reset the bios, with correct date and time. The computer is running with one GB of the new ram at the moment. Thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I hope the others will work too. By resetting the BIOS you run on default settings which are more tolerant on latencies and other parameters. Had you been buying DDR 400 (pc 3200) you could have gotten somewhat better performance. The motherboard is designed for that.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, is there a way to determine that this is not DDR ram? Would it be advisable to send this back and request DDR 400? They would be happy to exchange this. thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The new are DDR but slower then you can run on your computer. If they are willing to accept the modules change them to DDR 400 which equals pc 3200.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Just an update, I am sending the ram back to replace for DDR 400. Til then, it appears to be running smoothly on the old Ram. would you advise me doing a memtest upon installation of the new ram? Thank you so much for your help and expertise, you are appreciated. Sincerely, Sharon

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Install the new modules and run the computer. If there are no problems you don't have to test anything.

ravantwin

ravantwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you skeptic, will do. Over n out, Sharon