Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Problems

• Please log in to reply

Mr_Pickls

Mr_Pickls

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone, Here is the situation, My grandmother called me to let me know that the other day she was on her computer in the morning last week, everything was fine, but when she went back on later that day, she turned her computer on, and the pointer just stayed in the middle of the screen and wouldnt move when she moved her mouse. She said that she took the ball out of the mouse and cleaned it and still didnt work. I went over there to see if i could help and nothing. What i noticed was that after a little while, the pointer moves all the way to the right of the screen where you can hardly see it, and it cant move over to any other part of the screen. It can move up and down, but thats about it. I also noticed that it "flickers" alot. If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to help grandma out that would be most appreciative. Thankyou

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
It could be a number of things. Have you tried your mouse out at your Grandmother's house yet? If it works than it is more than likely the mouse itself in which case your Grandmother is just going to have to buy a new mouse. Optical laser mice are the standard these days and you can get a good one for $10-$15 at some where like Staples.

If you try your mouse at your Grandmother's house and discover that your mouse does not work as well, it is most likely the port the mouse is being plugged into. Is your Grandmother's mouse plugged into the ps/2 port or a USB port?

Mr_Pickls

Mr_Pickls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I bought my mouse over to hers and it didnt work either and her mouse is plugged into a ps/2 port.
thankyou again for any help

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the mouse doesn't work on two computers then I'd argue its dead. Mice are dirt cheap anyway to replace and for the cost its not worth spending a great deal of time troubleshooting the the things.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

I bought my mouse over to hers and it didnt work either and her mouse is plugged into a ps/2 port.
thankyou again for any help

Seems like her ps/2 port is messed up. I'd say your cheapest/ easiest solution would be to buy a new mouse that uses a USB port instead of a ps/2 port.