Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is this a good graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I think that I should upgrade my graphics card and was wondering if this is a good card to buy? Will I get good game performance out of it compared to my old one? Here is the link.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
FX5200 is really old card by today's standards.
Performance wise they're about as good as each other. I'd argue it isn't even worth the effort for what will be very little gain.

Just out of interest, why do you think you need to upgrade the graphics card?

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'm getting more into gaming and would like to be able to play some better games. I don't have money though so I can't spend a lot on cards.

sewildman50

sewildman50

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'm not trying to be facetious here, but someone would probably GIVE you a better used card so long as you paid the shipping.

In all honesty, you should save up some extra money for the next few months (30-40 dollars) and get a better card. Those cards you mentioned will simply not be able to handle many, if any at all, games that have been released since 2003/04.

This is just a card I found with a quick 30 second search. The specs are decent t though I'm not sure of the quality of the card.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2234

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The only thing with the 1650 card is it will wipe the floor with the OP's hardware as it stands. If the rest of the system is as old as his Geforce 2, putting the 1650 in will be like putting a Ferrari engine into a Mini.