Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISSUES: windows security alert pop up, home page changed to softwarere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
[Registry - Non-Microsoft Only]
Registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler\\{438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser\\{01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser\\{0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser\\{2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser\\{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}\ not found.
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0}\ not found.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}\ deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}\ deleted successfully.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0004-ABCDEFFEDCBC}\ not found.
[Files/Folders - Created Within 30 days]
C:\FOUND.004 folder moved successfully.
C:\FOUND.005 folder moved successfully.
C:\FOUND.003 folder moved successfully.
C:\FOUND.000 folder moved successfully.
C:\FOUND.002 folder moved successfully.
C:\FOUND.001 folder moved successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\msdownld.tmp folder deleted successfully.
[Files Created - Additional Folder Scans - Non-Microsoft Only]
C:\Documents and Settings\Jaycia\Desktop\Free-SpyHunter-Scanner-ri-Install.exe moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jaycia\Desktop\TaskManagerFix.exe moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jaycia\Desktop\TaskManagerFix(2).exe moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jaycia\Desktop\Free-SpyHunter-Scanner-Install.exe moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jaycia\Desktop\drweb-cureit.exe moved successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jaycia\Desktop\CFP_Setup_3.0.25.378_XP_Vista_x32.exe moved successfully.
File C:\Program Files\Common Files\?dobe not found!
< End of fix log >
OTScanIt by OldTimer - Version 1.0.15.18 fix logfile created on 06292008_153413

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there let's remove the tools we used.

Please download OTCleanIt.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double Click on OTCleanIt.exe, a window will appear.
  • Please press the CleanUp! Button.
This will remove the tools we used during the process of cleaning your computer.

Then,

Right-click on "My Computer." The "System Properties" dialogue box will appear, showing a number of tabs. From here you can reset System Restore and configure Automatic Updates.

First, click the System Restore tab.

* Check the box beside "Turn off System Restore"
* Click "Apply"
* At the prompt, click "Yes"

Wait while your system deletes existing Restore Points, this may take a few moments.

* Uncheck the box beside "Turn off System Restore"
* Click "Apply"
* At the prompt, click "Yes"

Your system will now create a new Restore Point.

Now for your other issues -

Let's try updating windows to SP3. Go to Start > All Programs > Windows Update or visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Click the Express button - It will search for updates needed. Make sure Service Pack 3 is there and allow it to update.

If it's not there you can download the standalone installer http://download.micr...SP3-x86-ENU.exe

To see if you now have SP3 go to start > Right click on "My Computer" > Click Properties, under the "General" Tab look under system, it should show somewhere as "Service Pack 3".

Are the issues gone or do they still remain?

Edited by Mike, 30 June 2008 - 06:01 AM.

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
man I totally thought that was gonna work but the problems are still there!

windows explorer doesnt work still.

The shortcuts from the start menu still dont work

if i try to show folders in my computer it freaks out and program closes

:)

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there some questions for you,

You mean Windows Explorer as in the program that appears when you press your windows key + E? Not internet explorer?

Could you elaborate on he last one, you mean "folder options" under the tools menu or is there something else? What folders are you trying to show?

Just a little more detail :)

Thanks,

Mike

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
My boyfriend customized the start menu and now all the shortcuts work (run, help and support, and search.)

windows explorer still doesnt work it gives me the

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

and when I try to view folders like in search or control panel it does the same.

Again Thanks for your help Mike you are awesome :)

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Man I just missed that last one.
Right I mean Windows explorer not internet explorer

lets see . . . . in control panel or my computer or my documents at the top of the window
near the menu and navigation area there is a folders button(?) that would allow me to view all folders and subfolders in the sidebar area you know when your in control panel the area that shows common tasks?

Am I making any sense at all? I hope Im explaning it right.

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I would be more specific but I goofed and ended the Explorer.exe process because I had a little error box that wouldn't go away.
And now I have no taskbar or desktop lol.

Its weird though because usually it says EXPLORER.EXE and thats how I know not to end that process I thought since this one said Explorer.exe it was for the little box

( if there was an emoticon wearing a dunce cap i would insert it here) :)

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Just restart your PC and it should be back up,

Please do the following for me.

Go to Start > Run type in the box that appears CMD and press enter.

In the window that appears type the following: chkdsk /r and press enter.<-- notice the space between "chkdsk" and "/"

It will run awhile, just get a drink or something :)

Any issues besides explorer? Has that problem been fixed after running the above?

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
This computer is posessed thats all there is to it!

Sorry chkdsk didnt run the screen said

" cannot lock current drive

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process would you like to schedule for next time you start your computer y/n?"

i said no but i will say yes right now and report back to you

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Okay it finally finished and . . . . . .

still no windows explorer :)

and in my computer it still shows nothing

but apart from that it runs great :)

so what else can we try?

thank you for your help
and patience.

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,

Let's take another approach on this.

Please go to Start, then click on Run

In the window that appears copy and paste the following:

CMD /C Net Start >"%Userprofile%\desktop\servicelist.txt"

A black DOS window will appear quickly, that's completely normal.

Within a few seconds you should have a text file titled "servicelist" sitting on your desktop.

Please attach servicelist.txt to your next reply.

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hello,
heres the attachment.

Attached File  servicelist.txt   1.21KB   111 downloads

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,

Well you exhausted me :)

Unfortunately I don't have a solution to your problem, however I recommend you head over to the Windows XP Forum here at GeeksToGo! and posting your question there for the techies to take a look at. Make sure to give them a link to this thread and tell them that your virus free.

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer in order to prevent future malware infections. Please take these recommendations seriously; these few simple steps can stave off the vast majority of spyware problems.

In order to protect yourself against spyware, you should consider installing and running the following free programs:

SpywareBlaster
A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.

IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
http://www.spywarewa...uc/resource.htm

Make sure to keep these programs up-to-date and to run them regularly, as this can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.

Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in popup blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from here:
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/

Also make sure to run your antivirus software regularly, and to keep it up-to-date.

There are many programs that can be used for your protection, most falling within the three main categories of anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. Please be careful to never run more than one program of the same category in resident mode, as conflicts between the different programs can actually decrease your protection.

Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place

I hope everything goes well for you, it would be kind if you could just post back here once more so that I may close this thread.

Take care!

Mike

Edited by Mike, 02 July 2008 - 03:00 PM.

Jessikuh

Jessikuh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thank you so much for all your help

and even though my computer is a pain in the butt at least now its a virus free pain in the butt! :)

Thank you again,

Jessica

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
You very welcome, hope everything goes well from here on :)

Take care and have a great day still,

Mike