Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start menu and taskbar not showing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jon Merlin

Jon Merlin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi JSntgRvr,

Guess whose start menu and taskbar didn't show in safe mode? Mine! :)

To tell you the truth, this issue almost doesnt seem worth fixing. I am truely stumped. Unless you have any other idea's, I think I'll just reformat tonight, as much as I hate to. Let me know what you think...

Regardless, thanks so much for your hard work and taking the time to try and help a fellow soul. :)

Edited by Jon Merlin, 12 June 2008 - 05:09 PM.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
I hate to see a computer formated when the issue could be a corrupted user profile. Any chance you can run the following command:

Control nusrmgr.cpl

That should bring the User Account Management and a new profile can be created with Administrative rights.

Also, change the RPC to work as a Local Account. That should should give you some functionality to do all this:

Run Services.msc. Scroll down to Remote Procedure Call. Double click on it. Select the Log On tab. Click on Local System Account and allow the service to interact with desktop. Restart to take effect.

If you are able to create a new Profile, this should be reversed

If that doesn't work, then I see no reason to continue. XP must be reinstalled.

Keep me posted.

Jon Merlin

Jon Merlin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi JSntgRvr,

So I ran Control nusrmgr.cpl and it opened a blank user profile window. and I mean blank. nothing. and then I went into the control panel and clicked on the user accounts and it also opened up a blank window. any options that used to be there are gone, and I can do nothing....

I ran Services.msc and went to the RPC and double clicked on it, and again, nothing happened. I tried clicking properties and nothing happened. I can seem to be able to change any of the properties or values....

Very frusterating. :) So I tried doing what you said, but with no luck... :)

Edited by Jon Merlin, 12 June 2008 - 06:46 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
I see no other option but to reformat and reinstall.