Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

notebook slow after Recovery Console Bootfix, please help ?

• Please log in to reply

auto7890

auto7890

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hal.dll was corrupt and I followed the procedure as Using the Recovery Console .

after I typed "bootcfg /default" R.C replied with the message "There are no boot entries, use '/add' or '/rebuild'". So I did that, but it then asked me , "enter Load Identifier..."? I did not know what to put in. so I typed '1', I also now know after it came up with the message "Enter OS"... I should have typed 'Windows Home edition' ,instead of help.

Now unfortunately I have 2 boot sectors , and
now windows sort of works ,but not the normal way. When it re-boots it comes up with
the black screen and message "do you want windows to load off "1"., or "help" , bugger.

Finally got back into my XP desktop ,but everything is now 12 times slower and Media Player 10 and Classic have become corrupt.

I then re-installed MediaPlayer 10 , but can now play some video ,but not all , I checked to see if all my drivers were still intact and yes they are. Also MediaPlayer10 and classic will not play full screen mode anymore, even after re-installing it. PowerDvD6 still runs all my videos OK in Full screen.

If anyone has any solutions how I can get the PC speed back ,and have MediaPlayer play videos again in full mode ,I would appreciate it.
Even just to bring up Explorer takes about a minute now, as before it took halve a second or something.
Also when I click to switch pc off ,it does not do this automatically anymore. It just comes up with the message "It is now safe to turn off your computer".

Advertisements

auto7890

auto7890

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
PLEASE DONT ALL ANSWER AT ONCE !

Edited by auto7890, 11 June 2008 - 08:36 PM.

auto7890

auto7890

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
please can someone help me with this ?