Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Issues

• Please log in to reply

zdurst

zdurst

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Guys,

Im new to this forum but any help I could get would be great. I have two computers that don't work but I want to get one working from them. They are but P4 im pretty sure. They both use DDR Ram.

Neither of the PC's would boot up. What I have setup right now is I have taken the CPU Chip from computer A and put it in computer B. Took the power supply from computer A and put it in computer B. Now computer B will boot up with 256 Ram, no HD, no CD drive, no Floppy. The pc will boot and say "no hard drive detected". Now this is the strange part. If I hook up a HD that I know works, the PC will not boot anymore. What happens it the fan on the CPU will turn on for about 3 seconds then BEEP, then everything shuts down. If I unhook the HD then PC will boot. I have tried two HD's and two different power supplies. Well the second did not work.

Any ideas? I have tried every combo on the power cables and the ribbon cables.

Thanks, Zac

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if you are sure the hard drive is working and you are sure the power supply is working and you are sure you have good cables that would leave either shorting on the case somewhere or a bad motherboard and or cpu.....

zdurst

zdurst

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

Ya its weird. I can boot the PC up with no hardware attached and I can get into the bios and it seems to work normal. But if I try and attach the power to the HD and boot it the little light on the motherboard will turn on and the CPU fan will run for about 3 seconds and then I can hear a Zzzzt and everything shuts down.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Zac

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sounds like a short somewhere or the power supply or hard drive are starting to die.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is the flat cable connected between the motherboard and the HD when it fails the computer? If it does, then try to move it to the second IDE connection on the motherboard. If it's not, and the computer fails as soon as you connect the power connector to the HD, then it's either the HD itself or the power supply.