Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.AVI File error

• Please log in to reply

J4ck

J4ck

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Guys,

I downloaded a video file from a torrent downloader site. The file is in AVI format but whenever I try to run it using Windows Media Player, it states that the codec is not supported even though it acquires the proper codec. I tried using the Nero ROM Video player and it states that it cannot encode MPEG-4 in the current version and asks me to buy the current version of Nero to enable this encoding. I have tried changing the name of the file to MPEG or WMA but it didn't work. I tried using a software called Riva FLV encoder as it can encodes files into different formats. This did not help eiter. Should I try to turn the file into a RAR file? or Should I try to tunr this file into a ISO type file so that the DVD player can play it?

Can anybody please suggest any ideas to run this file or any software that might render this file playable on my cvurrent media players. I have a Windows XP SP2 Operating software and it is all the current updates. The Windows media player is all upto date. Please suggest something. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Advertisements

J4ck

J4ck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
For the information of the moderators, I have read teh forum rules and this file is not a pirated movie title or a television series. Its a file containing footage of my rlelatives living overseas in America who uploaded the file at a torrent site and I downloaded it for family records. Thanks

jack

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
VLC will play the file for you.