Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive recomendation

• Please log in to reply

zoltain

zoltain

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello, I'm currently looking for a new external hard drive and would appreciate recommendations greatly. I have a vista home premium notebook. I currently have the Western Digital MyBook Essential Ed. 500GB USB Hard Drive but it has already broke on me before (was forced to delete everything and start from scratch i.e. reformat) and it just did again. What I'm looking for is quality. Somewhere in the range of 150-350gb. Thank you so much for help in advance.

Advertisements

Timmo

Timmo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got a Seagate 500gb and is really good, haven't had any problems with it and loads fairly quick.

250GB at Play

Edited by Timmo, 10 June 2008 - 07:59 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Personally, I would get an external case and then put a hard drive in it yourself. That way you can remove the disk if there is a problem with the enclosure and directly attach it.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
okay... i have never heard of that before, how do u do it. (and what case/hard drive should i buy in that senario)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

To achieve this, you would purchase a hard drive "caddy", I used to have this exact one and recommend it.

Then select a hard drive to install in it. For the caddy I have chosen, you'll need to select a hard drive that uses the SATA connection interface. I recommend Seagate hard drives, as they come with a 5-year warranty over other brands' 3-year warranty. You can click here and choose a drive that suits your data needs (i.e. size in GB) and budget.

Cheers

Troy

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Thanks so much for all the responses. I was wondering would these 2 work together.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136218

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817145656

Also can you put a 2.5" hard drive in a 3.5" case. Thanks.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you are willing to deal with rebates, check out http://bensbargains.net for links to sites with deals.

If you can get an adapter for the 2.5" hard drive, you could put it into a 3.5" case, but you need the mounting adapter, making sure that if the mount provides cooling that the mount also does that and you will need an adapter for the connector. The bottom line is that you would be better off getting a case designed for the 2.5" disk instead of trying to make it fit into something that it was not designed for.

No, those two items will not work together. The disk is a SATA drive and the case is for a PATA (IDE) drive.