Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp restarting

• Please log in to reply

pusimigokurot

pusimigokurot

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When i turn my pc on he is restarting over and over again and gives this message:

we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have cause this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good konfiguration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attemp was interrupted to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you
aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

i try everything safe mode, start windows normally, last known good config and he restarts again..

help!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
How long does it take before it restarts?
Have you tried repairing the Operating System with the Windows Disk?

Regards,
Olrik

pusimigokurot

pusimigokurot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the black screen when windows loads then it is restarting again

i'll try with the windows disk to repair and post again soon

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /f/r before trying to repair xp ...it could save having to reinstall all the patches again

pusimigokurot

pusimigokurot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i dont realy understand what is chkdsk /f/r and how to run that?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Press start and hit "run".
in the runbox type "cmd".
then in the black box type "chkdsk/f/r" (without quotation).

Regards,
Olrik

pusimigokurot

pusimigokurot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it restarts before windows loading i cant get to start button
I cant start safe mode with comand promt eather.

cookiemunsta

cookiemunsta

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Guys...

I've beenr eading trying to see what can help me problem. The problem described on this thread is exactly what happened to me after a power outage. I can't get the windows to load and it recycles.

I inserted the Recover DVD that came with the computer (I did not get a Windows XP disc) and the recover and DOS prompt options came up. I did not go into recover as all data would be erased. I got the prompt, but did not do anything else.

The computer has XP (installed OEM) and is about 4 years old. I do have an XP OS disc for the Gateway computer that I am considering trying out to see if I can boot and use the repair process.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

ju

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
cookiemunsta you need to start your own thread...

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /f/r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

Edited by happyrck, 25 July 2008 - 02:26 PM.

cookiemunsta

cookiemunsta

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks happyrck!

Will do as soon as I get home. If I continue to have problems I'll start my own thread with a better description.

Thanks again,

ju

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Will do as soon as I get home. If I continue to have problems I'll start my own thread with a better description.

Thanks again,

ju

if you don't get helped after 1 day ...PM me with a link to your thread and I'll help you

cookiemunsta

cookiemunsta

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

cookiemunsta you need to start your own thread...

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /f/r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

happyrck,
Thought I'd type this here. I burned the rc.iso file and booted from the cd, but it took me to the Windows XP install screen. I selected "setup windows XP now" but it told me that the license agreement couldn't be found. I did not get a prompt to run chkdsk. Did I do the right thing?

Thanks,
ju