Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ATI Radeon 9600 XT

• Please log in to reply

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I've been working on building a good computer from free parts(no laughing) and recently received an ATI Radeon 9600 XT graphics card that was supposedly broken. I tried installing it onto my ubuntu desktop and as one might expect it was indeed...broken. The odd thing was that it worked fine doing all the simple tasks (desktop management, file browsing, program running) and I could hear its little fan running, which means it was getting info. But, whenever I would try running a game, it slowed way down and gave me like 8 fps. Any ideas at what could be causing this?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well first of all have you installed the proprietary 3d drivers? I don't know if Ubuntu includes then or not.... Debian does not as they are not "free" according to their definition.... Also the 9600xt does tend to run hot as I recall... maybe the fan isn't cutting it anymore...

-- edit --

You could also look at the capacitors ( small can-like components ) on the card and see if any are bulged/leaking

Edited by shard92, 10 June 2008 - 11:28 AM.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Have installed propriety drivers. Will look into capacitors.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ok so I don't see anything weird with the capacitors but I noticed this little switch on the card and remembered that the card seemed to be treated as two different cards by the computer (in hardware info it had the normal one and then was listed again with secondary in parenthesis. What does this switch do and are they related? Posted Image

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well does the card have more than one output? If so then that would be the secondary output. As far as the switch you'd need to get the documentation for that card.... Is it actual ati ( from the picture it looks like it but it is kind of blurry...