Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good news/ Bad news

• Please log in to reply

preciousshabby

preciousshabby

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone,
I was able to get into my mother's computer, but I am still unable to get into mine. I think there must be another form of security installed that won't let me use the Ctrl+Alt+Del method inwhich I used on Mom's computer. So now I need another solution for my computer other than taking it to the shop. I don't have a CD burner on my old computer which I am using now just a floppy disc and cd-drive. any ideas? :tazz:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
what is the problem?

preciousshabby

preciousshabby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The problem is that I still can't get into my computer. I have tried everything. The previous owner must have put in extra security to prevent anyone to log on. Oh What shall I do? :tazz:

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Do you mean, like you don't know the password to log into the computer or something else? I just want to make sure we are fully understanding you. :tazz:

B

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you start a post before then a new one so part of the info
is missing?
is this from the post that 2 computers were bought from the thrift store?

preciousshabby

preciousshabby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Correct! my post is from the previous message that my mom bought 2 computers. Well, I finally got into one but now I can't login into the other one using the Ctrl+Alt+Delt. Now I need to figure out how to getinto my computer without buying windows 2000.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
did you take the battery out?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if I were the previous owner I would have formated the hdd before I gave you the system. The would be to insure that you didn't get any personal data.

its not additional security. More than likely he has set it up to require logging in with the proper password. You said this was Windows 2000, right? It should always come up with ctrl/alt/del to enter id and password. If its not then the os might be corrupted.

if this is an hp or dell it should have come with a manufacture restoration/os cd. If you don't have one then you will need to take it to a local shop. I know several ways to get into the os, but they require a fair amount of technical savy. Not to mention that if you can't bring up the login screen there isn't much one can do.

.....on second thought if you could be more specific as to what it boots up to that would help. also since you started a second post on this instead of continuing with the original it would be nice if you provided a link to the original post. WOuld make it much easier for those us trying to help you.

Starjax

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
True Starjax.
OK 1) how did you get into your mums computer ?
2) do you get the login screen
3) Does your mums computer have a 3.5" floppy or cd burner

preciousshabby

preciousshabby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the information fellows. I used the Ctrl+Alt+Del to get into Moms computer . I didn't think about the os being corrupt. I know the person was usingg it currently in his business. I was thinking of making a start up disk from my mom's computer.
If the os is corrupt then what shall I do?
Thanks!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you need to obtain the os leagly if you want to fix it properly. Otherwise you will have to take it to a local shop.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you hit ctrl alt delete
did this give you a log on screen or what ?
asking for a user name and password ?
what comes on your screen when you start up ?