Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OEM Installs of Vista

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have an Vista Home Basic OEM disk and a computer with Vista Home Premium installed on it. I wish to format the computer and re-install the OS. I heard once that any Vista disk will install any version of the OS so long as it is the same bit (IE 32 or 64). Is this true?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any 32-bit Vista OEM CD will install any version of Vista providing you have a valid licence. The version of Vista to install is determined by the product key you feed it during Setup, otherwise all versions are on the same CD.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
That's what I thought. Now if I bring you to the article I started on this same topic on EggXpert you will see a much different debate on this.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

That's what I thought. Now if I bring you to the article I started on this same topic on EggXpert you will see a much different debate on this.

I do not know what this article states, but the Vista DVD has all of the versions on it.
As Neil Jones posted, it depends on the key.