Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Opinions Wanted

• Please log in to reply

Athlon

Athlon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everyone. I am building a new machine and would like everyones opinion on it. I am not sure about the mobo I may get a different one. This machine will be used for gaming, surfing and such. But mostly gaming. Here are the components I have selected.

DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

2 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000AAKS 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

2 LITE-ON Black DVD Burners

Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT CPU Liquid Cooling Kit

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

2 ASUS EAH3870 TOP/G/HTDI/512M/A Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

RAIDMAX Sagitta 2 928 WY Black/ Yellow Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Plus a floppy drive, G15 Keyboard, G9 Mouse.
I am a diehard AMD fan so I am set on the AMD processor.

Here is a link to the Newegg wish List;
http://secure.newegg...tNumber=7692031

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

If you are absolutely set on that exact processor, then it looks like a great build. A few thoughts for you to digest:

You can save some money by purchasing Vista Home Premium instead of Ultimate. You can read about the differences here. If you don't need the "extras" offered by Ultimate, then grab a cheaper version.

One DVD Burner is more than enough, why would you want two? One drive will be able to read, burn, etc... If you don't need Lightscribe, then grab this drive. Otherwise this one's cheaper.

And lastly, I suggest getting a larger case. You're going to have trouble fitting all those bits in. :) I would look for one that is setup to support watercooling, as you're getting that Swiftech kit for the CPU. While it may seem rather expensive, this Antec would be an excellent choice, in my opinion.

Cheers

Troy

Athlon

Athlon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply and welcome Troy.

When it comes to os's I usually get the biggest and best. But the link you provided was great. I am still most likely going to go with the Ultimate version as it has some features I like. I.E. Hardware protection feature, Data protection. If any one has any opinions on these features I would love to hear them whether they be good or bad.

I always have 2 cd drives in my computers but as you said one will do. As for litescribe it is just a nice feature that I most likely wil only use a time or two. But it is nice to have it. The litescribe drive you linked is the same on but the OEM version which is better for me as it does not come with all the extra stuff I don't need. I will most likely get one litescribe and one blueray drive instead of 2 burners.

The processor I have listed is not set in stone. That is just the fastest AMD one I found. I may go with the Phenom 3 core. But like I said I am not set on processor until I actually purchase one. I just want the best bang for my buck.

Thank you very much for the case link. I have decided to go with that one.

Great tips thanks very much.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I just want the best bang for my buck.

Then you truly should go for an Intel processor (and compatible motherboard), at present. :)

Cheers

Troy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Hey there,

In my honest opinion if you have the money I would get an Intel quad core. I would stick with some type of Intel Quad as they do have more performance clock per clock than the Amd cpu's have.

The reason I suggested a quad is for future gaming and its more future proof if you are the type of person that does not get a new pc every year or 2 max. If you are the type of person that gets a new pc every year or 2 a Fast Dual core would be fine for you... I would still stick with Intel IMHO.