Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MG-SA1456 1-to-5 SATA2 Port Multiplier

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

This is what my computer has:

-ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard - UDMA133, SATA (RAID)
. . . . - VIA K8M890 + VT8237A
. . . . - 2000/1600 HT/s
. . . . - Dual-channel DDR400, Max 2GB
. . . . - VIA Integrated Gfx in North Bridge K8M890
. . . . - 1 x PCI-E X16, 1 X PCI-E X 1, 2X PCI
. . . . - 2 *ATA133 ,2 x SATA
. . . .- 10/100 LAN
. . . . - 6-Channel audio
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0 Gb/s 320Gb hard drive (RAID array not set up and never will be)
- AMD Athlon Gforce 8400 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
- Corsair 620W PSU
- Ballistix 2x1G RAM, 184-pin DIMM, 128MX64 DDR PC3200, Unbuffered
- NORCO-4618 PCI-X / PCI eSATA / SATA II / SATA I Controller Card RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD
- Windows XP Pro X64, SP2
- NetFramework 2.0 Redistributable Pack for X64

Prior to buying the hub on, I wrote the company and asked if it would be compatible with my os. This is the response that I received:

Dear Denise

Thank you for supporting xxxxx product.
Depends on operation systems, you might need to load driver in order for the xxxxx 4618 to work.
Go to:
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/
step1: SiI 3124 (the chipset used by 4618)
step2: driver:
step3: your operation system.

Please feel free to contact us for further more questions.

Best regards
Daniel Hsu

I bought the SATA hub and downloaded and installed the recommended driver, (3124_x64_11130_logo) and the hub doesn't work. I wrote to the manufacturer and the response that I received was:

sorry this motherbaord does not list a siliconimage 3124 chip it lists a VIA sata chip that is not portmultiplier enabled host

please check your specificatications

This is what the website advertised:

INTRODUCTION

The SS-3176HUB 1-to-5 native SATA2 Port Multiplier is designed to provide a high performance link between a single SATA2 host port and 5 SATA device ports. It expands one upstream SATA2 port to 5 downstream SATA2 ports. With its unique data aggregation and 3Gbps serial link capacity, it supports 5 SATA or SATA2 devices with auto-negotiation features over one single eSATA connector and supports both 3Gbps and 1.5Gbps devices automatically.

It is able to take full advantage of 3Gbps host link bandwidth and FIS-based switching host controllers by bundling together data from device ports and sending it over the 3Gbps host link. TheSS-3176HUB is designed for optimum performance and expandability.

With its hot-plug and hot-swap features, it is an ideal upgrade solution to support SATA and SATA2 devices for the rapidly changing data to preserve user¡¦s investment in the SATA interface.

SPECIFICATIONS

Serial ATA Interface

1 Upstream to 5 Downstream SATA2 Ports
Supports External eSATA Connectors
One DC Jack for External Power Input
Supports FIS-based and Command-based Switching Methods
Asynchronous Notification to Eliminate the need for Host Polling to Determine if a Device has been added, removed and hot-plugged.
Supports Serial ATA devices with up to 1.5Gb/s or 3.0Gb/s Transfer Rate

Serial ATA Devices

Supports 5 Serial ATA devices: Hard drives, Removable HDD, and more coming devices such as CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, Tape, IOMEGA, LS-120, DVD-ROM, PD, ¡K

I/O Hardware

Provides 1 Upstream and 5 Downstream eSATA Connectors. Supports One DC Jack for Power Input.

OS Support

Depends on the Upstream Host Controller. It is transparent from the Operating Systems.

How can I change setting/install drivers/etc on my pc so that the hub will work? I have no idea what this means: Depends on the Upstream Host Controller. It is transparent from the Operating systems

sorry this motherbaord does not list a siliconimage 3124 chip it lists a VIA sata chip that is not portmultiplier enabled host

Doesn't my controller card act as the portmultiplier?

Would someone let me know what's going on and what this means? The hub cost me $139.00.

Denise

Edited by Denisejm, 16 June 2008 - 08:54 PM.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Anyone?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
PUL-EAZE . . . :) EVEN A TINY SUGGESTION ABOUT THE DRIVER TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION WOULD BE A HEAVEN-SEND