Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

helpPLEASE ! a guy fixed' my desktop, hard drive ?

• Please log in to reply

starla

starla

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
PLEASE HELP < I had a friend of a friend look at my desktop after windows would not let me in at all , not even in safe' mode. HE took it home, said the drive was toast , meaning it would NOT work, and I would need to buy a new drive, he put a 150 drive in my pc, and xtra memory so far for free... I told him I would give him esome $$ on the 12th . well in 2 days from now, again my desktop is less than 2 years old, it is a compac presario xp media center edition,

COMPAC PERSARIO SR2038X ~~~~~~~~ MY QUESTION IS .... DID HE TAKE MY RAM??? IS THE RAM BUILT INTO THE HARD DRIVE ? AND HOW DO I FIND OUT IF HE TOLD ME THE TRUTH, HE DID NOT GIVE ME BACK MY ' DRIVE, I AM ASKING HIM FOR IT TONIGHT. BUT

(WHAT I NEED TO KNOW WAS IF MY DRIVE HAD MY RAM ON THE OUTSIDE OR INSIDE OF THE DRIVE ??????)

CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME, HE IS SAYING HE LEFT ME A 120, OR A 150 HARD DRIVE (PARTS HE HAD) IN MY PC, AND IT WORKS, ITS JUST SLOW, EVEN WITH MY RR HIGH SPEED ....... COULD I BUY RAM FOR THIS PC?? AND IF SO IF A RAM CARD WILL GO ONTO THIS DRIVE, WHY DID HE KEEP MY RAM, DID HE KEEP MY RAM ??? WAS I SCREWED OVER??? HE FIXES LOTS OF PC'S AND HE SEEMED VERY NICE, AND TOLD ME HE WANTED TO HELP ME, NOW I AM VERY CONFUSED, BECAUSE I WAS TOLD THAT MY RAM SHOULD HAVE OR COULD HAVE BEEN EXTERNAL TO MY BURNT DRIVE' AND WONDERING COULD IT HAVE ALSO BURNED WITH THE DRIVE ?? AM I BEING PLAYED HERE??? ANY HELP I WOULD DEEPLY APPREICATE !!! I AM ABOUT TO CALL HIM, AND ASK HIM SOME OF THESE SAME QUESTIONS TO GET HIS ANSWERS, I WILL POST BACK ALL I CAN , IF THERE IS SOMTHING MORE YOU NEED TO KNOW PLEASE ASK .........

I WILL BE WATCHING THIS POST , BUT YOU Can ALSO REACH ME WITH MY EMAIL ADDRESS, WHICH IS

(removed)

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THESE ANSWERS PLEASE HELP ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THANXS IN ADVANCE ASAP , PLEASE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~~~~~~~~~starla

Advertisements

starla

starla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok, talked to the guy who helped' me. he said my ram is NOT in my hard drive, that ram is memory ...

is this correct ???????????????? can anyone help me please, sorry I am asking stupid questions, I do NOT know anything about the inside of a pc, as I am sure you can tell, I just want to know how much I should pay him, and if I get my soposedly burned up hard drive back, can I run any test on it ?? or send it anywhere, he said he couldent get any of my info, so I lost everything !!!:) and I just want to know if there is anything ... I could do .... I see you guys looking , does anyone have ANY help they could offer a newbie to pc major malfuctions/?? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanxs!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi starla,

So many questions! Before I give a few comments, please understand that your posts are somewhat difficult to understand. One question mark is just as effective as 20, if you are asking a question. In online forums, ANYTHING IN CAPITALS LIKE THIS is taken as yelling - and it's harder to read!

Nonetheless, "the guy who helped you" is correct - the RAM is your computer's memory, and is a separate component from the hard drive. Whether or not he touched your RAM is completely unknown to us. Why do you think he took any RAM? How much did you have in the beginning? How much do you have now? If you don't know any answers, then I highly suggest you ask him.

You mention your computer is slow - was it always that slow? Or are you noticing a big difference, now that it has been repaired? If you notice a big difference, I would ask him "Do you know why my computer would be slower now than what it was before?" He may have an answer, or want to look at it further.

And what is your RR high speed? I've never heard that term before, can you clarify?

And just so you know, here is what the insides of a computer looks like:

Posted Image

Of course, there are many variations of what a computer may look like inside the case - for example, mine looks rather different. But the overall basic idea is there. If you like, I can take a picture of mine and then use Microsoft Paint to label the various components for you.

Cheers

Troy