Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plz Help Just finished Website

• Please log in to reply

m0nk

m0nk

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys, this might sound like a dumb question but its worth asking.
Well i just finished my website using microsoft frontpage and was wondering how do i now get it online?, and how much am i looking at to get it online? if anyone could help me that would be great p.s i looked into web hosting but they are all saying u build it through them etc.. im confused :S thanks

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Offering software to create websites is just an incentive to sell webhosting. You do not need to use the webhost's software. Upload all your files into your "public_html" folder when you do arrange for a webhost, after making sure that your domain name is assigned the nameservers your webhost designates.
Johanna

m0nk

m0nk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your help Johanna, is it much more cheaper designing it yourself and getting a webhost? what are some cheap webhosts around also would u know how much the price is around to upload ur website? also do they usually include a dot com or do you have to get that yourself? thankyou

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You don't have to register your domain name with your webhost, but many times webhosts offer domain name registration services. You need to shop around. Figure out exactly what you need (sounds like a domain name and a (relatively) small account for hosting. Your ISP may offer services for free or at a reduced price since you have an account there. I can't provide you with recommendations, but some quick research via Google should give you some alternatives. What you need should cost less than $100 a year in the US.
Johanna

m0nk

m0nk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks johanna, also i have 1 more question :), i want to update my site with better pics images, and maybe even a new template, is there any websites you can get free images and templates that are non copyright? thankyou

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Using FrontPage may create some problems on those servers that do not have the latest FrontPage extensions installed. You may be limited to Mico$oft based servers. Hopefully, your host will have the latest extensions installed or you will have problems.

If you plan on using PHP, PERL or any other scripting language with a database like MySQL, I recommend one of the "free" hosting sites that only charge per year for your domain name. Make sure they support FrontPage. Better yet, dump FrontPage and use something like free NVU for your visual editor. Both FrontPage and Word make lousy web pages because of all the Mico$oft schema code that only IE and IE engine driven browsers understand.

Uploading your page will be much easier using FTP. Something like the latest free SmartFTP does the job very well. Without the proper FrontPage extensions installed, FTP may present problems.

As for images to use, I recommend making your own instead of copying others. If you just want background images, then Google the words "background images". Most of those given will be free to download and use.

Some nice free graphics programs:

GIMP Does have an animation plug-in for it.
GetPaint.net Extremely user friendly graphics program
Blips Online A terrific online PhotoShop-like graphics editor with effects and animation

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 June 2008 - 04:15 PM.