Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where did the flags go?

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
The country flags seem to have disappeared :) Any ideas why?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
new skin probably didn't include that mod...and "the great tinkerer" probably hasn't gotten to it yet

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
*Tal is on the old one

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i didn't want to let the cat out of the bag but.....we just don't like you :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Last I remembered I was a US flag.

And I really don't remember seeing the flags for a while. Where did they go?

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

well...i didn't want to let the cat out of the bag but.....we just don't like you :)

I knew it! :)

Last I remembered I was a US flag.

And I really don't remember seeing the flags for a while. Where did they go?

I remember them being on several days ago...

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
With the new skin I wanted to clean up the mini profile that's shown in the forums beneath the avatar. I removed the flag, operating system info, and also member number. The flag was a global setting, so had to be removed from all skins. All that info is still available by viewing the users full profile (clicking their username).

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
OK - thanks for clarifying :) Just wondered why they are gone.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I would like to have the flags back; I really enjoyed seeing at glance where different users and staff members were from. Its kind of fun to know I helped or that I’m chatting with someone halfway around the world. I know you can look it up in the user profile, but thats a lot of work when you can just see a flag.

I say we take a vote for flags or no flags :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, I personally understand Admin's choice. The new skin has a much cleaner, easier on the eye look. The flags don't match with it. To be honest, I always found the flags to be a bit unsuited to G2G - they didn't blend in with the background. There are lots of other flags out there which are smaller, have softer edges, etc. But collecting them and installing, takes up a lot of time, and as we know it... Admin doesn't have any :)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I agree with both of you.

Roughly half of the visitors and members here are from the US, the other 50% are from most every country in the world. I thought the flags were a fun way to showcase the global nature of the site.

However, when designing the new skin we made a real effort to simplify, and focus most the attention on the content. The flags didn't fit real well in the old skin, and just looked like clutter in the new one. The "from" field is still displayed, but optional when registering (as were the flags).

P.S. If you want to preview the as yet unfinished new skin, you can find a drop-down skin selector in the lower left corner. Change it from Geeks to Go (classic), to Geeks to Go (beta). The skin selector is available to members only.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I also see the V2 (beta)

Is that the one we should use or should we just use the beta one?
(Might be a stupid question, but they both look diffrent! :) )

Regards,
Olrik

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
2 > 1, at least that's how I was taught in 1st grade :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
V2 is a slightly darker version of the Beta. Makes it a little easier on the eyes for some of us "more seasoned" members.

*wannabe1 misses the flags, too.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Add a "mini-flag to signature :)

Abydos