Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remove 1 hdd

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you're going to get an XP installation disk, I wouldn't change a thing until you have it. Then you can move the drives around and run a repair installation using the new disk. That would get it up and running good in short order.

Advertisements

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok wannabe,
Thanks for all the info and help.I'll get the cd and do a repair.Probably could take it to cyber sollutions(sp),a local pc repair and they could do it for less than the price of a new cd. They don't use this pc much since I put together the new one with Vista,so I hate to spend the money on XP that only I will use.
Created myself a new problem,I downloaded SP3 last night and now have no anti-virus and other messages popping up.I Will call misrosoft if I can get thru and see if they can walk me thru a fix.If not,I can always restore,if I can't delete it.
I've always had avg anti-virus but I'm not sure about it anymore,since I had to treat my pc for anti-virus 2008.
I thank you again for all your help,
Dave

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I was able to get a real live person on microsoft and would you believe it he said he is in iran.The problems turned out be my own but they are resolved now

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I found my installation cd,but i've had no luck on the repair.I switched the hdd and all I got was a black screen with a flashing cursor.I corrected the boot.ini file back to original,that didn't help.I switch the hdd back and got booted up and open the installation cd but if I do a repair on D: I think I will have the same thing I have now.When using the installation cd I should click install at beginning?Got any ideas?
Dave

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm up and running again with 1 hdd.The slave,which is the largest one and the one I wanted to use,would not boot so I formated and installed Windows 98SE and it still would not boot to cd,I guess because it thought there was still 2 hdd,the master would not boot to the cd either.The slave,which is now the master,booted with 98 installed so I then inserted the cd and installed XP without booting to the cd.There is probably a easier way to do it,but I did it the hard way.
Thanks for all the help,
Dave