Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro help

• Please log in to reply

polesapart

polesapart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need major help. When my xp pro needed to be re-installed, the install went well for a few minutes. At some point, the re-install just froze. When I finally had to exit out, I tried to re-install but it did the very same thing. Over n over. I tried to boot but I get the message certain windows files are missing! I tried my rescue disk etc to no avail. I read that re-installing over the existing xp overwrites (or deletes?) the old files and installs the new. But since it didn't really finish installing, I may be realizing that those files are now gone. Like I said, I need major help!!!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello polesapart,
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Instead of trying to re-install windows XP over the current one, try repairing it instead.
A nice guide on how to do this is written by our very own admin here: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Regards,
Olrik

polesapart

polesapart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx Olrik! I had already tried to repair etc.etc....no luck. That's when I tried to re-install. Now when it boots, it doesn't even go to windows. Seems like I've opened up a can of worms. Usually, doesn't it go thru the memory scan, boot sectors etc? Then the windows screen appears. Mine just tells me there are missing files and windows cannot start. I'm far from pc knowledgeable but I'm not a dummy! I can follow directions if someone can figure out what's wrong. Thanx again for your help and time Olrik! polesapart

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Do you have any important information on your hard drive?
If so, we need to back-up that before going any further.
The easiest way to do this is to take out your hard drive and 'hang' it in another PC.
Make sure you ground yourself properly so you don't damage any parts in the PC.
Once taken out, go to another PC and connect it to another machine.
Boot the machine up and you'll be able to get any information off your drive.
Don't put any data on the drive, just back-up what's important.

Let me know if this isn't a valid option.

Regards,
Olrik