Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

crucial DDR2 RAM Voltage

• Please log in to reply

Dov Chodoff

Dov Chodoff

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,
I have just finished putting together a new computer. Everything is working well and I am very happy with the results.

I have Crucial Balistix DDR2 RAM (2X1GB) - they are currently running on 1.85V and everything seems to be ok. I read in some placed that this Ram should run at 2.2V.

My question is as follows:
Is there any reason I should change the voltage up to 2.2V on the RAM? Or is this one of those cases of "if it's not broken, don't fix it"? Is there any harm in leaving the Ram as is (I.E. can this do anything to the RAM/MB in the long run)

Thanks,
-Dov

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only thing i notice is that lower voltages can cause games to skip, and stutter, and generally have some problems. Boosting the voltage in the BIOS usually stops the problems. If you are not having problems you may not have to do anything. You may not push your computer to its limits to where problems can start showing up.

Yes, Crucial has the voltage set at 2.2 volts.

SRX660

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You may set the BIOS to optimal settings (as opposed to default). This will set the BIOS to run at the maximum that the motherboard was designed to run. Don't go any further then that. If the computer shows instability return to defaults.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
They run at 1.85V out of the box due to JEDEC specifications (which require DDR2 RAM to boot at lower voltages for compatibility with older motherboards). They are also typically underclocked or have looser timings to be able to run at this voltage. To get what you paid for out of your RAM, you can go into the BIOS and change the RAM's clock speeds, timings, and voltages to the recommended values (should be listed on packaging).

Edited by stettybet0, 12 June 2008 - 01:30 PM.