Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some help with Wireless Network!

• Please log in to reply

BeckieLouise

BeckieLouise

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys,

OK, I've been using my wireless internet fine for the last 6 months plus. Then today, for some reason, it stopped working entirely. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 510m laptop, with an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapater. I'm using Sky Broadband, and if I connect using the wires it works fine. Similarly, the wireless works fine on the other laptop, so I'm guessing it's not the connection. Sometimes, it can find my network in the list of networks, but it won't let me connect to it. Nothing happens when I click to "repair" the connection. Stranger still, my computer is completely slowed down whilst it apparently is searching for the network, and nothing works properly until I click to disable the network.

I'm not exactly great with technology, so any help (in relatively simplistic terms) would be really really appreciated!! I'm really getting frustrated with it!

Thank you!!

Beckie x

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Beckie, let me first welcome you to Geeks-To-Go :)

Secondly, it sounds like you might be having a hardware issue with the wireless adapter. However, the first thing i think we should try here is to update the driver for the card.

Download the driver here: Dell Link and then follow these instructions

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R105328.EXE.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R105328. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R105328 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

BeckieLouise

BeckieLouise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for your advice! I did exactly as you said, but to no avail. I have the Intel Pro icon in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, but it alternates between full signal and no signal every second, and the wireless is failing to get the network address.

I think if it's a problem with my wireless card, I'm going to get a USB wireless adapter!

Thank you very much for your help though XD

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I would be willing to bet that your problem is hardware. That is, if you're certain that other computers work on the same wireless network. How old is your laptop? It may still be under warranty.

BeckieLouise

BeckieLouise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah they definately do, but I thought it might be the wireless card in my laptop. It's a few years old, but I got it off ebay so no chance of a warranty :)