Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XPpro Sign on Issue

• Please log in to reply

OutaCigs

OutaCigs

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Last week I updated my XPpro, I installed various patches as well as the malicious software removal tool (I do not have nor intend to download sp2 - tried once and OS crashed so hard it cracked the pavement). On the same day my antivirus program (mcafee) downloaded a huge update (I have this set to automatically retrieve any updates), I also updated Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster.

Since then when I log off and want to sign back on I do not get a cursor nor am I able to enter text of any kind in the sign on field unless I reboot. I have run McAfee, Spybot S&D in both normal and safe modes and each time nothing is found. Going back to a restore point does not resolve this problem.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have any recommendations to fix this issue?

Thank You in advance.

OutaCigs

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would start by uninstalling windows updates in reverse order of installation...

OutaCigs

OutaCigs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you, I'll try that and keep you posted.

OutaCigs

OutaCigs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The culprit was an update (kb891711) that according to the windows up date site appies only to Win ME, 98SE and 98. I'm including the link to the page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891711

Thank you for your support.