Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD drive won't open

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
The CD drive in my W98 pc will not open when i press the button on the drive.
I can read stuff on the CD currently in the drive and i can write to it. But I can't open the drawer to remove it.

Can someone suggest a fix? Seems to me I once used a bent paper clip to open the drawer. Or am I just dreaming? Thanks. ..wdc

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Power system off and use the little emergency release hole to release the lock and pull the tray out.
You're not dreaming.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Neil Jones: Thanks for your advice. Two things to report:

1. I was not able to find any small hole on the front of my CD drive. Must I open the case to see it?

2. In the process of restarting my PC (after having turned the power off to get at the small hole), I got a message that there was a diskette in drive A: and should remove it. When I did my CD tray opened! Problem fixed.

Like the old man said, "I've lived a long time and have seen lots of trouble and most of it never happened." May we all be so fortunate. .. wdc

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Depends on the case, some of them have covers that you need to fold down to get access to the actual front panel of the CD unit.

2) Strange things provide all the solutions.